Solutions journalism provides a framework, grounded in journalistic ethics and informed by today’s professional challenges, that enables journalists to cover society more comprehensively, revealing possibilities for civic agency and connection.
In the Mountain West, SJN has led trainings and provided financial support for projects in over 50 local newsrooms. We also convened collaborative reporting projects in Montana (“The Montana Gap”) and New Mexico/Colorado (“State of Change” and “Small Towns, Big Change”).
In 2019, SJN is expanding on this regional by increasing community engagement around solutions reporting and creating a new cohort of civic actors (“solutions spotters”) who will track and share solutions stories and ideas across the region. The Mountain West Engagement Coordinator will lead the creation of the solutions spotters in an effort to elevate local solutions reporting in Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, New Mexico. The Engagement Coordinator could also contribute to the development of meaningful metrics to evaluate this effort to share new insights and ideas across the region.
Skills and knowledge that might be useful in this position (not all are required):
- Experience managing community engagement projects or working as a community organizer
- Knowledge of local journalism and/or experience working with journalists and newsrooms
- Knowledge of online analytics and other potential measures of impact for engagement projects
- Experience managing newsletters
- Experience managing online groups
- Comfortable working independently and remotely
- Excellent communication skills (email, phone, video chat, in-person, etc)
- Familiarity with the history, current issues and culture of the Mountain West
- Experience working with diverse communities
The Engagement Coordinator will work remotely and priority will be given to candidates based in a Mountain West state. You must have reliable access to internet that can support video conferencing. ***A tech stipend will be available***
Compensation: $30 an hour for an average of 20 hours per week
This position is not eligible for benefits.