The Mental Health Association of Rhode Island (MHARI) works to create systemic change in Rhode Island’s mental healthcare system. We do this through passionate advocacy and innovative educational initiatives. We do not provide direct services.
This is an exciting time for MHARI, as we are embarking on a new strategic plan and revamping our vision, mission, values, and website. We are eager to reboot our development program.
The part-time Development Consultant (Consultant) will be responsible for directing the philanthropic activities of MHARI to assist in promoting the mission of the organization. In partnership with the Executive Director (ED), the Consultant will spearhead development efforts as MHARI continues to grow. The Consultant will have the opportunity to help build the development function.
The Consultant will direct the strategy and processes of philanthropy and fund development, with a focus on an annual giving campaign, major gifts and events/fundraisers. The Development Consultant will be responsible for developing and implementing all aspects of the organization’s special events planning, including sponsorship procurement, solicitation, event publicity and social media outreach, on-site management, financial reporting, fundraising, sales, and event follow-up.
The Consultant will collaborate with the Executive Director and the Operations & Finance Consultant to determine grant opportunities, write proposals, and manage any procured grants under the direction of the Operations & Finance Consultant.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops and executes the MHARI’s annual fundraising plan.
- Maintains updated databases of all donors, event attendees, and event sponsors.
- If Raiser’s Edge or equivalent fundraising software is obtained, manage its implementation and is responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Directs the development, implementation, and evaluation of corporate giving, annual giving, and event development activities as part of the organization’s overall fundraising plan.
- Creates a planned giving program
- Manages the cultivation of philanthropic relationships.
- Works with the Executive Director, Operations & Finance Consultant, and both designated staff and board committees to execute the annual fundraising plan.
- Coordinates with the Executive Director and the Operations & Finance Consultant to research opportunities for grants, maintains grant maker profiles, writes applications/proposals, and stewards relationships with grant makers.
- Directs communication and solicitation strategy for the annual giving program.
- Represents MHARI at resource fairs and other third-party events as requested by the Executive Director
- Leads all aspects of MHARI special events.
- Solicits previous and new sponsorships for special events.
- Facilitates development of collaterals related to events, including promotional pieces, invitations, sponsor recognition materials and event programs, and others.
- Participates in and/or leads event-related meetings.
- Actively recruit, train, and support volunteers who will assist in event planning and who will assist at events.
- Work with members of the Public Relations and Fundraising Committee to solicit media coverage for events.
- Reports to and is supervised by the Executive Director.