Location: Remote (work from home), based anywhere in the United States.
Reports to: Program Director – Media & Communications
About The Praxis Project
The Praxis Project is a values-driven, national nonprofit organization that seeks to improve health justice through partnerships that build community power and increase authentic collaboration and engagement. Praxis believes strongly that organized communities are critical partners in the struggle to create healthy communities. Praxis works with over 200 diverse grassroots groups across the United States that influence local policy, mobilize communities, and strengthen programs and organizations to improve health, justice and racial equity. Praxis works to enable local efforts to build community power through training, technical assistance, and capacity building services, as well as comprehensive fiscal sponsorship. Our capacity-building programming is focused on partnerships that actively advance Praxis’ mission to build healthy communities by transforming the power relationships and structures that affect our lives. For more information, please visit www.thepraxisproject.org
The work environment at The Praxis Project is fast-paced, creative, and fun, and our team is hardworking and extremely passionate about our mission.
The Digital Media Manager (DMM) role at Praxis will primarily focus on supporting Praxis’ goals and programs through high-quality digital and social media about our network of community organizing partners and their work towards health, justice, and racial equity. This position will help Praxis and out community partners to change the broader narrative about the role of power-building organizations to improve health, equity, and racial justice. The DMM supports communications-related initiatives by leading video and other digital media projects (80%) and through the development and maintenance of social media communications (20%). This role requires fully developed skills and understanding of digital media pre-production, production, and post-production processes and includes overnight travel across the US.
Successful candidates should be willing and able to work in an environment that emphasizes a team approach and should deeply understand Praxis’ overall commitment to addressing issues of racial and economic justice, working with base-building organizers working to build local power to advance health justice and racial equity.
This is a full-time (40 hours per week), benefits eligible, exempt position. The DMM works five days per week and some day-to-day schedule flexibility is available, though close coordination with our other team members and external partners is an important job function.
The salary for this position is projected to be $80,000 per year and will be based qualifications and fair-market compensation. We use Nonprofit Compensation Associates compensation survey data for the San Francisco Bay Area and Bureau of Labor Statistics and other reputable indices to adjust for cost of living. Praxis provides regular cost-of-living pay changes and substantial employee benefits beyond salary, taking a holistic approach to setting compensation.
Praxis works overwhelmingly with communities of color and constituent-led organizations. Candidates whose lived experiences reflect those of the partners we work with are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties and responsibilities
Digital Media Production
- Research, prepare, and produce digital media for Praxis’ Programs and Communications teams for external audiences.
- Partner with and co-create compelling stories for our network of community organizing partners and other constituents.
- Support pre-production processes including development of project strategy, interview guides, script writing, storyboarding as applicable.
- Coordinate digital media production related travel, logistics, and field schedules.
- Manage aspects of capturing, recording, and transmitting of all digital media productions, video, audio, and/or images for projects.
- Set up, operate and troubleshoot on a variety of equipment including but not limited to; video cameras, microphones, tripods, lighting, etc. May train or provide guidance to other staff.
- Production of digital media, including interviews, capturing b-roll, photography, statistics and data, and timeline of events.
- Produce high-quality post-production and editing to ensure a quality digital media for both Praxis and partners to use externally. Communicate with Praxis partners and incorporate partner input and feedback to digital media projects.
- Properly store, label, and archive masters and edited masters.
- Make recommendations for purchases and repairs of digital media equipment. Create cost estimates for different equipment options. Provide stewardship of organizational resources, including during travel and field production.
- Create digital media with existing and available video and audio assets.
- Coordinate with external digital media consultants.
- Support digital media capacity building, including articulating digital media production processes for internal staff and external movement partners.
Social Media Network and Partner Communications Coordination
- Co-manage Praxis social media accounts and maintain Praxis’ day-to-day activity on these accounts, including: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Draft and distribute of social media posts to engage audiences, working across departments to support social media needs of programs, policy, fiscally sponsored projects, and admin as needed.
- Generate creative assets exclusive for social posts and paid ads as needed.
- Manage reporting and analysis of social media impact metrics.
- Monitor and respond to social media engagement, elevating issues to the communications team as necessary.
- Learn new social media features as they are released by platforms and utilize then in social media as appropriate.
- Use social media to create and maintain Praxis’ online communities in a manner that emphasizes the work of our base-building community partners, values aligned traditional partners, and philanthropy.
- Identify organizations, partners, stakeholders, and influencers that are relevant to our work to follow and engage.
- Participate and sponsor relevant TweetChats with both Praxis’ network partners and with Praxis’ traditional partners.
- Listen to online dialogue and share any current events or issues that impact The Praxis Project’s work to shift the broader narrative.
General Communications Support
- Be a thought partner for all Praxis’ communications work, including communications direction, strategy, and voice
- Bring advanced digital media, especially video, expertise to add value to communications projects.
- Provide suggestions and recommendations regarding social media strategy, including strategic direction, opportunities for growth, new methods of engagement, utilizing new features, social media engagement tools, etc.
- Support broader communication initiatives, including website updates, communications programming, and the creation and release of monthly and quarterly emails
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Program Director and other members of Praxis leadership.
Required qualifications: experience
- 6-9 years experience creating and producing video and other digital media.
- Experience creating video content that is oriented around telling stories of communities of color from a community power and justice approach is preferred.
- Advanced technical experience using digital media equipment, video creation, and editing software, such as Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe Photoshop.
- Strong knowledge in production techniques, including videography, compression and file delivery, and other production formats.
- Broad knowledge of field and studio camera, lighting, and sound.
- Ability to adapt equipment and setup and provide alterative setup or workarounds if necessary.
- Experience with using various social media platforms or online campaigns in a professional setting, particularly Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
- Familiarity with existing social media features.
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Ability to manage a variety of simultaneous projects within tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to interact effectively and build relationships with Praxis network partners.
- Ability to work independently as well as effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or movement setting is preferred.
- Direct experience with community organizing or other frontline grassroots advocacy campaign is preferred.
- Experience using project management software such as Asana is preferred.
Required qualifications: skills, knowledge, and abilities
- Deeply held personal commitment to social justice and commitment to Praxis’ mission.
- Exceptional judgment and ability to adapt in rapidly changing situations is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and relationship-building ability.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and ability to engage in culturally competent and non-marginalizing communication are required. Knowledge of people-centered educational methodologies and outreach techniques is preferred.
- Proficiency in a language in addition to English such as Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Tagalog, or Vietnamese, especially writing, is preferred.
- Exceptional detail orientation and appropriate sense of urgency in dynamic situations is required.
- High level of professional ethics and integrity and the ability to maintain confidential information is required. Experience working within politically targeted movements or organizations is preferred.
Mental and physical demands
- Fast-paced work environment.
- High level of concentration and attention to detail required.
- Overnight travel (up to 3x a month for ~3 days each) is required.
- Praxis currently works remotely both as an internal team and with our partners based across the United States. Leading and participating in remote video and telephone conferences is required.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and insurance is required for employees driving on Praxis business; driving record checks may be required as well.
- Due to the travel-required nature of this role, up-to-date vaccination against COVID-19 (including all recommended and available booster shots) is required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Praxis Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, religious creed, disability (mental and physical) including HIV, AIDS, and AIDS-related conditions, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, age, marital status, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
The Praxis Project will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified employees with disabilities unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on Praxis operations. Please advise of any accommodation needed at the time of application.
Praxis is committed to fostering a safe and welcoming work environment. All Praxis employees are required to complete training on preventing harassment and discrimination, managing bias, and creating an inclusive workplace on an at least annual basis.