This is a full-time, remote position. The starting salary is $45,000-$55,000/year with full benefits, and may be negotiated for highly experienced applicants.
Dissenters is a national anti-militarism youth organization, with youth members representing over 30 colleges and cities across the country. We are seeking a Communications Manager to develop and implement Dissenters’ communications strategy with an eye towards building our movement and moving people to taking action — as members, donors, followers, or supporters.
As a new anti-militarist youth movement, we are looking for a passionate, creative, hard-working communications strategist that is excited to lead Dissenters to get our message out into the world and build a powerful anti-militarism youth movement with our incredible members.
Primary Responsibilities (70%)
- Support the implementation of the organization’s strategic communications to advance Dissenters’ mission to end war and militarism, broaden awareness of our issues, and increase visibility of our programming
- Build an earned-media strategy on the national and local levels
- Write press releases and develop press list
- Create, write, and maintain an ongoing social media calendar on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
- Coordinate and grow the member-led national Storytelling Committee, with an eye toward creating well-rounded leaders and strategists
- Work with Strategy Team and Co-Directors to release statements in response to trigger moments
- Develop trainings and support for local chapters to sharpen messaging and earn media coverage (press releases, op-eds, and social media following)
- Use creative tools and software to create graphics and materials to engage online supporters, and decision-makers
- Support the creation, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic organizing communications, including mailing list, website, newsletters, branding materials, and organization website
- Ensure all external communications meet Dissenters DNA
- Monitor Dissenters’ online and social media presence; assess and report on communications strategies
- Respond to direct messages and engaging with followers in accordance with Dissenters’ tone and communications goals
- Utilize software (Action Network) for communications with supporters and donors
- Other duties as assigned
We’re looking for someone with…
- 3+ years experience in strategic communications
- Excellent verbal, writing, and editing skills
- Proven track record of generating hard-hitting content and messaging guidance for social justice issues
- Expertise on major social media platforms and growing audience and engagement
- Razor sharp strategic campaign messaging skills
- Experience with leading groups, overseeing processes and structures, and coordinating teams.
- Able to set and be accountable to own work plan in a remote environment
- Graphic design skills
- Digital organizing experience
- Traditional press or editorial experience
- Holds relationships in anti-militarism and/or youth organizing ecosystem
- Expertise in issues of militarism
This position reports to a director. Work takes place remotely and requires some travel to Chicago as COVID safety protocols allow. Team communications predominantly take place on Zoom, Slack, email, phone, text.
Dissenters is an equal opportunity employer. We uplift the leadership of people directly impacted by systems of war, policing, and militarism. Candidates with directly impacted identities are strongly encouraged to apply.