Must be able to work at home with a space designated for Nurturing Minds and meet in-person once per week at the Executive Director’s home office in Newton, Massachusetts.
Nurturing Minds seeks a Development and Communications Associate in this entry-level position that reports to and works closely with the Operations Director. The Development and Communications Associate will be responsible for all of the organization’s accounts payable and accounts receivable, data entry and database management, social media and communications support, event planning and support, and volunteer support and administration. The Development and Communications Associate will be an integral member of Nurturing Minds’ Team.
- Full-time, 40 hours/week
- Salary is $41,600/year
- Benefits include two weeks paid vacation, $300/month health insurance stipend, retirement savings stipend at 3% of salary, 13 paid holidays, and 5 sick and emergency leave days
- Hours must be completed from 9 am to 5 pm ET, Monday through Friday
About Nurturing Minds:
Nurturing Minds is a US based non-profit organization with the mission to support quality education, life skills, and entrepreneurship to help vulnerable girls in Tanzania become leaders in their communities. Nurturing Minds achieves its mission through the development and support of Secondary Education for Girls’ Advancement (SEGA), a non-profit organization based in Tanzania. With a particular focus on vulnerable girls, SEGA educates and equips bright Tanzanian girls with academic, leadership, and business skills to unleash their individual talents and reach their full potential.
- Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable:
- Receive the mail on a weekly basis from the organization’s PO Box in Newtonville, MA.
- Deposit donations into the bank account via a remote deposit check scanner.
- Process invoices and prepare checks for signature.
- Prepare monthly credit card statements for payment.
- Data Entry and Database Management:
- Support the organization’s strategic use of data to further goals and objectives related to donor, prospect, and leadership development.
- Manage and maintain the organizations’ donor database to ensure donor profiles are up to date and accurate.
- Process all gifts and acknowledgment letters.
- Generate and distribute reports.
- Use DonorScape to research and generate reports on individual major gift prospects.
- Social Media and Communications:
- With the Communications Committee, plan effective social media strategies.
- Manage the organization’s social media accounts including content development, day-to-day activities, and specific campaigns.
- Help draft copy for organization’s print and email newsletters and campaigns.
- Event Planning and Support:
- With Operations Director, plan and implement both in-person and virtual events.
- With Operations Director, organize all details of in-person board meetings 2x annually.
- Volunteer Support and Administration:
- Take minutes at board meetings and some committee meetings.
- Maintain board and committee directories.
- Create annual schedule for board and committee meetings.
- Create and send weekly organization updates to board and advisors.
- Create and send weekly updates to individual board members information them of donations to the organization from their networks.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work at home with a space designated for Nurturing Minds and meet in-person once per week at the Executive Director’s home office in Newton, Massachusetts.
- Must be physically and mentally capable of performing multiple tasks and able to function in a fast-paced environment.
- This position may require lifting approximately, but not limited to, 40 pounds.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree preferred. We will also consider relevant work experience in place of a Bachelor’s degree.
- The ability to occasionally work beyond the position’s regularly scheduled hours.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform position responsibilities.
- Strong word processing skills, strong grammar and spelling, attention to detail.
- Good communicator, written and verbal.
- A proven record of working successfully with various technology tools, particularly database software. Experience in fundraising software preferred. Experience in GiftWorks desired.
- Experience in graphic design and social media platform management.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite; solid experience with web and email contact technology and programs.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time while maintaining focus, close attention to detail and skill in prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Superb inter-personal and relationship-building skills; ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of board members, donors, and volunteers; must be comfortable interacting with different personalities spanning across the U.S. and Africa.
- A high level of integrity, respect for confidential nature of the work and extraordinary work ethic.