Fair Labor Association (FLA) promotes human rights at work. We are an international network of companies, universities, and civil society organizations collaborating to ensure that millions of people working at the world’s factories and farms are paid fairly and protected from risks to their health, safety, and well-being. FLA is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has several offices around the world. For more information, visit www.fairlabor.org
The Senior Director, Communications leads the organization’s communication efforts and is responsible for developing and leading the execution of a comprehensive communications plan that raises the visibility of FLA and uses our voice to bring about improvements for workers in global supply chains.
This position is designated as global remote; hence it can be based from any location.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead and implement a comprehensive strategic communications strategy covering the full spectrum of traditional and digital communications channels to raise visibility of FLA and its programs.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications department including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
- Develop messaging tailored to a variety of audiences, including media, businesses, the finance sector, civil society organizations, consumers, and governments through earned media, speaker engagements, and other communication opportunities.
- Produce a variety of FLA communications products including annual reports, newsletters, speeches, presentation decks, and other internal and external communications materials.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in strategic communications best practices including strategic messaging, earned media, and reputation management.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience with increasing leadership responsibilities, including supervision of team members.
- Advanced skills in writing and editing for a variety of different audiences, with an emphasis on creating narratives and storytelling that move and inspire.
- Experience in a non-profit or labor and human rights environment is preferred.
- Advanced degree in communications, marketing/business, or a related field is preferred.