Salary: Content Editors start at $75,000 per year. Our salaries are benchmarked for the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, where GiveWell is based. We adjust the salaries of remote employees based on the federal geographic location adjustment database.
Benefits: Read about the benefits we offer here
Location: Oakland, CA if working from our office, or remote within three hours of the Pacific time zone.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, working remotely, and working from the office when you choose. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Timeline: We’re reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Visas: For this position we’re not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
Content Editors at GiveWell play a key role in fulfilling our commitment to transparency
and ensuring that the work we produce is accurate and high quality, so that we can direct funding as well as possible.
As a Content Editor, you will contribute to our work in a variety of ways, such as:
- Summarizing research calls. Publishing notes from these calls helps us fulfill our commitment to transparency, keep track of what we learn from others, and check our understanding of what we learned on these calls with the people we talked to.
- Quality control. You will conduct very detailed reviews of pages we publish about our work and spreadsheets that we rely on to inform our decision making. Your work will serve as an important check on our research conclusions to increase our confidence that we’re directing funding as well as possible.
- Other research and operational support. You may help out with work streams such as collecting and organizing information for research projects, assessing applications, project managing certain work streams, and/or publishing our work.
In the past, many content editors have gone on to other roles at GiveWell in areas including outreach (talking with donors about their giving and/or writing materials to share with our donors), research (grant making to our top charities, cost-effectiveness modeling, project managing our growing research work streams), donations management, and technological projects.
To be successful in this role, we expect that you:
- Can write clearly and concisely
- Have very high attention to detail
- Communicate clearly and productively with your colleagues
- Check in proactively when you’re unsure about something or when you notice something that could be improved
- Are receptive to feedback and willing to provide feedback to others
Other highly desirable qualities:
- You’re passionate about maximizing global well-being. GiveWell is focused on programs that target low- and low-to-middle-income countries. You want to contribute to GiveWell’s mission and are passionate about maximizing what can be accomplished with the resources available to help the people in these countries, including thinking critically about difficult tradeoffs between different good outcomes.
- You’re excited to work at a growing, agile organization. GiveWell currently has about 50 full-time staff. This means that we expect a lot from each person, and we often ask people to contribute outside their core area of focus. If you like trying and learning new things, we are potentially a great fit.
There’s no perfect candidate for this (or any) role; we’re looking for exceptional people who want to create a world where everyone can thrive. If you think you would be excited to go to work each day as a Content Editor, please apply!