About NARAL Pro-Choice America
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America and its chapters have fought to protect and expand reproductive freedom —including access to abortion and contraception — for every body.
We are powered by our more than 2.5 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
NARAL Pro-Choice America centers diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our work. Continuously learning from our history, we hold ourselves accountable to achieve reproductive freedom with equitable access for everybody.
As the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access, we organize and mobilize, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom, and shining a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on others. We also work to elect champions for reproductive freedom and advance state and federal legislation to safeguard it.
We are looking for a VP of Communications and Research to set overarching strategy for NARAL’s communications and research departments, including engaging key stakeholders. The VP of Communications and Research will oversee the deployment of creative content to reach key audiences and stakeholders, including grasstops and corporate leaders. An integral member of NARAL’s executive team, this person will oversee, develop and implement an aggressive communications and research strategy. They will leverage NARAL’s research at the national and state level in order to lift up NARAL’s campaigns, initiatives, political programs, and long-term vision for reproductive freedom, while pulling back the curtain on the anti-choice movement and countering their harmful influence on our democracy.
A strategic and innovative leader, the VP of Communications and Research will serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and enhance NARAL’s visibility, image and influence through effective and creative communications and research, including sophisticated message research and top-notch opposition research.
The VP will be a campaigner at heart, an experienced communicator, thoughtful manager, persistent problem-solver, and a collaborative leader who can work with an exceptionally high level of autonomy, thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment and is passionate about advancing NARAL’s mission. They will work on multiple projects at once and must have a commitment to NARAL’s core values and integrating diversity, equity and inclusion
into every aspect of our work.
You’ll be a great fit if you’re passionate about reproductive freedom, with at least 14 years of progressively responsible experience including experience building and leading high-performing teams and a commitment to working collaboratively, including with other departments, and helping contribute to a positive and high-impact workplace.
Location: Washington, DC preferred, but open to remote workers with the right experience.
- Reports to: President
- Positions Directly Reporting to this Position: Research Director, Communications Director, Senior Press Secretary
- This Position Is: Full-time, Exempt, Non-Union, Management Level VIII
- Salary:$170,000-185,000, depending on experience
- At least 14 years of progressively responsible experience in campaigns, advocacy or political organizations with a focus on communications, strategic message research, opposition research, and/or developing and deploying creative content to achieve organizational objectives
- Excellence in staff management with the proven ability to develop, coach, and manage high-performance teams
- High-level strategic planning and budgeting skills, including a sophisticated understanding of state and national political and policy landscapes and ability to prioritize and balance short- and long-term needs in fast-paced and high-stakes environments
- Deep attention to detail and exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Proven track record of high-level media pitching, managing crisis communications, and on-the-record work
- Strong background driving narratives at a federal and state level, with the experience to weave both together
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious work environment
- Experience working with membership organizations and a desire to engage members
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working within a multicultural workforce and sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural differences is required
- Impeccable judgment in complex situations and ability to operate with diplomacy and discretion
- Experience with the reproductive freedom movement is a plus
- Commitment to NARAL’s mission and goals.
- Drive ambitious and creative messaging, communications, research and external affairs strategies for entire organization
- Provide high-level guidance and generate creative ideas and fine-tuned feedback to shape public opinion, influence narratives, and reach key audiences while building NARAL’s brand and national profile
- Lead projects that shape, gauge, and translate complex public opinion and message research, both qualitative and quantitative, into actionable tactics to advance reproductive freedom
- Seek out new channels of engagement including micro-influencers in key communities and new means of audience segmentation and targeting, constantly pursuing innovation and results
- Creatively design processes to measure impact and efficacy of communications and research work
- Represent NARAL in high-level spaces and places
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson with national and state media
- Disseminate messaging and materials and collaborate with broad and diverse audiences, including progressive movement organizational partners, campaigns, Capitol Hill offices, other members of the reproductive rights, health, and justice movements, and more
- Operate at the most senior level in the organization and work closely with the President and other members of the Executive Team to align the organization’s priorities and campaigns to maximize impact
- Ensure enterprise-wide message cohesion and brand consistency
- Work closely with Communications Director and other national and state staff and NARAL chapters to develop and execute strategic communications plans that maximize coordination, efficiency and effectiveness
- Work closely with the Research Director to guide and oversee multiple messaging research and polling projects internally and with outside stakeholders, navigating highly complex stakeholder dynamics and aligning objectives
- Provide excellent project and people management and leadership to the Research and Communications Teams
- Provide direction, leadership, and guidance for the Communications and Research Departments and support the directors of those departments in achieving high-impact results and supporting their team’s growth and professional development
- Oversee communications and research departmental and project budgets
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color (including bilingual and bicultural individuals), LGBTQ+ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.