About Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs (Bow Seat): Bow Seat is a Massachusetts-based nonprofit whose mission is to engage youth in ocean conservation and advocacy through the arts. Bow Seat is a unique organization: unlike more traditional nonprofits, Bow Seat is a family-legacy project created and principally funded by Founder and President Linda Cabot. Bow Seat operates as a private operating foundation.
Our flagship educational program, the Ocean Awareness Contest, invites teens to explore the connections between human activities and the health of our blue planet through visual and performing arts, creative writing, film, and multimedia. Since 2011, more than 24,000 teens from all 50 U.S. states and over 130 countries have participated in this global call for art. We showcase student work in our online gallery
, and through social media, exhibitions, film screenings, publications, and partner initiatives. We also collaborate with schools and community organizations to combine ocean literacy and the arts in classrooms and afterschool programs, and to ensure that youth voice is included in environmental campaigns and conversations.
The Position: Bow Seat seeks a Social Media & Brand Engagement Manager who can: tell a compelling story in 280 characters; use art and design to engage and inspire; leverage hashtags, emojis, and GIFs appropriately and effectively; and understand how communications and digital media tools can amplify an organization’s brand, uplift youth voices, and build relationships.
The Social Media & Brand Engagement Manager can interact with diverse audiences through multiple channels, and is as comfortable doing so online as they are in person. Through strategic thinking and creative storytelling, the Social Media & Brand Engagement Manager will help Bow Seat elevate our mission, programming, and body of student artwork, as well as authentically connect with and grow our global community of youth, educators, partners, funders, the media, and other collaborators in the arts, education, and environmental sectors.
We are seeking a candidate who can make a 2+ year commitment and who lives in the Greater Boston area. While this is a primarily remote position, the ability to travel once it is safe to do so as well as to work occasionally on evenings and weekends are required.
Bow Seat appreciates the diverse experiences and perspectives of people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and other traditionally marginalized communities, and encourages these candidates to apply.
- Manage and update the editorial calendar to reflect Bow Seat’s marketing strategy and communications priorities
- Create, post, and share high-quality, compelling, and relevant content about Bow Seat, our youth artists, and mission-related news via social media channels, especially Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
- Develop creative and innovative media (such as graphics and videos) to promote events, campaigns, and programs
- Design social media toolkits to engage users in amplifying our programs and campaigns
- Monitor social media accounts and interact with users
- Serve as an external personality of Bow Seat’s social media presence through Instagram Live, Facebook Live, TikTok, etc.
- Collect and review insights/data/analytics to gauge and/or improve the effectiveness of social media strategies
- Research and evaluate paid digital media opportunities to increase the visibility of Bow Seat’s programs and campaigns
- Stay informed of the social media space and emerging content trends, monitoring for conversations, activities, and developments that may serve as opportunities for Bow Seat
- Lead the ideation and implementation of other social media strategies to help Bow Seat achieve our goals
- Mentor and support Bow Seat’s Future Blue Youth Council’s social media working group, as well as social media interns
- Help to write general newsletters, blog posts, emails, and other targeted outreach to students, educators, and community members
- Assist in designing promotional materials such as program flyers and event signage
- Assist Bow Seat’s Founder and President in drafting and conducting research for blogs, emails, and other communications
- Assist Bow Seat’s Founder and President on outreach tasks to maintain and develop strategic partnerships
- Curate and assist in the design of publications to showcase student work, including the annual Ocean Awareness Contest Yearbook, anthologies, zines, etc.
- Prepare for and participate in physical and virtual events, such as national education conferences, webinars, and youth summits
- Serve as the liaison with Bow Seat’s website developer; assist in updating Bow Seat’s web pages
- Support media relations tasks
- Assist with database management
- Support art exhibition production, including preparing digital files, maintaining art inventory, and organizing materials for gallery installations
- Perform other program-related or administrative duties, as assigned
Required Qualifications & Skills
- 3-5 years of professional experience and proven success in developing a strategic and creative social media strategy and digital brand/presence
- Intimate knowledge of established and emerging social media channels (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, TikTok, etc.)
- Commitment to keeping up with evolving social media trends and best practices
- Experience with social media analytics tools and translating quantitative data into useful, actionable insights
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, especially with multiple audiences in a variety of voices
- Keen eye for design and experience working within brand guidelines; high proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Canva, or other similar platforms
- Adept in Microsoft Office Suite, Dropbox, Airtable, and database management platforms
- Basic video editing and/or digital media production skills
- Proficiency with WordPress and Mailchimp
- Experience working with Hootsuite, Later, or other social media management platform
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with sharp attention to detail and conscientious follow-through; ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a remote work setting
- An innate, insatiable curiosity and desire to learn and grow
- Flexible, with an all-hands-on-deck, team-centered approach (we’re a small crew!)
- Energetic spirit and positive attitude
- General knowledge of environmental conservation issues
- Experience working with youth a plus
- Passion for Bow Seat’s mission