Title: Director of Data Engineering - Washington, DC or remote
Department: Data Systems & Analytics
Reports to: Vice President of Data Systems & Analytics
Job Classification: Exempt / Full-time
Organization Description: The Voter Participation Center (VPC) is the nation’s largest non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to registering and mobilizing voters from the New American Majority (NAM) – people of color, unmarried women and young people – who make up the majority of the potential electorate but have been historically underrepresented in political participation and power. Using direct mail, digital and social media outreach, guided by rigorous data science and experimentation, and working closely with a multitude of partner organizations, VPC connects with millions of voters each year, building the foundation for a more representative democracy.
Over 19 years VPC has helped more than 5.6 million people register to vote. In 2020, as COVID-19 shut down most forms of in-person voter contact, VPC helped more than 4.6 million people apply to vote by mail & cast ballots, registered more than 1.6 million people, and assisted millions of voters in voting early and safely to reduce pressures on polling places on Election Day.
VPC programs are flexible, nimble and scalable. VPC is driven by a commitment to constant research, testing, experimentation and evaluation, and thus offers many of the most cost effective, proven, high-impact programs in the civic engagement field.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is VPC’s partner organization, and is a separate but affiliated 501©4 non-profit that works to engage both the NAM as well as members of the broader electorate who share their values.
Position Overview: VPC and CVI seek a Director of Data Engineering to help build and maintain a new internal data and analytics ecosystem. This person will have extensive experience in software engineering, at all stages of the development lifecycle. They will contribute to the design, development and testing of software tools for data transfer, analytics, and reporting, as well as to the evaluation of vendor tools and services. The candidate will be joining a team that is responsible for bringing many of VPC and CVI’s pipelines, integrations and data tools in-house. The Director of Data Engineering will be expected to communicate extensively with stakeholders and exercise sound judgement in the design and implementation of these systems. An ideal candidate may have built and deployed their own ETL pipeline, and will bring previous experience with automation toolchains and modern deployment infrastructure to the team. Experience with cloud platforms is helpful but not required. This role could be based out of our Washington DC office or be remote.
Responsibilities Include, but are not limited to:
- Designing and implementing data pipelines in SQL and Python
- Maintaining data models across a wide variety of data sources
- Creating best practices for data standardization and refinement
- Mentoring team members in software engineering best practices
- Working as part of a team to maintain a well documented, consistent codebase
- Communicating with teammates and vendors outside of the analytics team and translating their needs into code
- Striving for data practices that include traditionally underrepresented groups in our programs even when faced with potentially biased incoming data sources
Director of Data Engineering Skills and Qualifications:
The ideal Director of Data Engineering candidate will have:
- Exceptionally strong communications skills
- 6+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- a bachelor’s degree and 4+ years of experience
- an advanced degree and 3+ years of experience
- 3+ years of software or data engineer experience working with voter files or electoral/campaign organizations
- Deep experience in Python
- Previous experience with SQL
- Comfortability developing in, and for, a POSIX-compliant (Unix-like) environment
- Experience taking a software system from design all the way to deployment and maintenance
- Previous experience with data in politics and/or enhanced voter files
- Previous experience in civic engagement, organizing or political campaigns
- Deep experience in at least one of the following:
- Ansible, Chef, Docker, Puppet, Terraform, or equivalent code-as-infrastructure tool