Girl Rising is looking for a deeply creative, experienced communications professional to join our team as Director of Communications. We are currently a fully remote team, with headquarters in the US and people working across 12 countries. The role is open to candidates located in the Americas, Africa and Europe.
Mission and Background
Girl Rising envisions a world where girls can rise to their full potential, elevating their communities and our world. We know that when girls rise, the world thrives. Our mission is to use the power of storytelling to change the way the world values girls and their education.
Girl Rising is a U.S based non-profit currently working in 12 countries. Through our original storytelling, mass media campaigns, community-based partnerships and customized tools and curricula, we fuel change so that girls can go to school, receive a quality education and pursue futures of their own choosing. The evidence is clear - educating girls and advancing their opportunities radically transforms families, communities, and entire nations, helping to end cycles of poverty, improve environmental conditions, and increase health, peace and prosperity.
The three main pillars of our work are:
- WE CREATE films, media content and educational resources that highlight the value of educating girls.
- WE COLLABORATE with organizations around the world to support locally led change and accelerate access to quality education and greater opportunities for girls.
- WE ACTIVATE change by inspiring individuals, from parents to presidents, to take action for girls’ education and rights.
COMMUNICATIONS DIRECTOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Communications will be the strategic engine in expanding and enhancing Girl Rising’s brand and our communications reach and impact around the world. From developing innovative global communications campaigns, running our social media channels, securing press and speaking opportunities, and leading on specific creative production (films, photography) and events, this role has the following key objectives:
- Enhance Girl Rising’s global reputation
- Advance our mission by creating innovative, best in class communications that inspire individuals to take action for girls’ education and girls’ equality
- Inspire and attract support, partnerships and funding for Girl Rising’s educational programs and media campaigns around the world, in close collaboration with the Girl Rising’s Development team
Responsibilities will include:
- Develop and execute the organization’s global communications and media strategy, ensuring Girl Rising rises above the noise in today’s crowded media space.
- Develop and execute the communications and media components of a multi-year organizational strategic plan.
- Develop and oversee execution of social media campaigns across all platforms, telling the story of Girl Rising’s work and the broader issue of girls’ education and equality through engaging storytelling, graphics, video, and other mediums.
- Develop and drive bold media strategies that garner earned media, advance Girl Rising’s movement building and advocacy goals, and highlight its expertise and thought-leadership.
- Secure speaking opportunities for Girl Rising’s leaders at high-profile events.
- Lead a website redesign and oversee Girl Rising web presence to maximize engagement.
- Conduct a brand refresh, including updated look and feel and new brand guidelines.
- Manage team members responsible for components of Girl Rising’s communications strategy including staff and consultants.
- Ensure that the appropriate systems, staffing and procedures are in place to properly and reasonably support communications plans.
- Conduct regular analysis of Girl Rising’s communications reach and impact.
- Embrace learning and the testing of new ideas to grow our community and strengthen the movement for girls’ education.
- Represent Girl Rising at meetings and events as well as interface with our Board of Directors.
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE IS:
- A seasoned marketing and communications strategist.
- An exceptionally good writer and communicator with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas in a clear, creative and compelling way.
- Sophisticated storyteller with experience working across multiple mediums.
- Deeply knowledgeable about the media landscape and skilled at building and managing relationships with media and corporate partners.
- A curious and creative thinker and collaborative team member.
- Scrupulously attentive to accuracy, detail, and nuance.
- Strong social media strategy skills and experience.
- A skilled manager with the ability to manage both long- and short-term deadlines, and the capacity to change focus based on organizational needs.
- Culturally aware and respectful – curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate.
- Has a visual eye and is a natural at what it takes to present things beautifully.
- Passionate about Girl Rising’s work to change the way the world values and invests in girls’ education and advancing quality education and opportunity for girls around the globe.
- At least 6 years of experience in communications
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- Experience using the software and tools our communications team relies on: Adobe Design Suite, Lightroom, Google Workspace, Dropbox, Mailchimp, Salesforce,
This position is full-time, and is remote. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and location. Position includes generous vacation and holidays. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place. Girl Rising takes professional growth seriously.
Girl Rising is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.