Development Manager Overview
Behind the Book (BtB) seeks a Development Manager, based in the NYC area, who is passionate about our mission: to develop engaged readers and writers in underserved NYC public schools by designing and delivering programs that are multi-disciplinary, culturally responsive, and promote deeper connections to books and their authors. We seek a strategic leader who can partner with the Director of Development and Executive Director to build relationships with stakeholders that will grow our revenue and create opportunities for our students to thrive.
About Behind the Book
Behind the Book is a literacy nonprofit serving PreK – 12th grade students in high-needs NYC public schools. Behind the Book identifies culturally responsive books and partners with teachers to create immersive curriculum units that include working with the author, writing and art, exploring the content of the book through drama and relevant field trips.
BtB empowers the next generation of readers and writers by nurturing critical thinking, creativity, and self-confidence in our students, giving them the tools they need to reach their full potential.
The Development Manager is in charge of foundation relationships, grant writing, and foundation-related record-keeping and communications, as well as serving as staff liaison to Young Executive Board.
The Development Manager will also manage donor acknowledgements and other development-related administrative tasks as needed, including special event support. The ideal candidate is organized, disciplined, self-motivated, systems-oriented, and good with people.
- Managing the grants process, from prospect research through the writing and submission of LOI’s, grants and supplemental materials, and reports to funders
- Managing the foundation calendar and overseeing calendar of non-ask touch points within foundation communications
- Working closely with senior leadership to help cultivate and steward new institutional funders and develop new relationships with foundation prospects
- Overseeing process of donor acknowledgements in a timely manner
- Serving as staff liaison and support to the Young Executive Board (YEB)
- Assisting the Director of Development with annual fundraising events
- Other administrative development tasks as needed, including Salesforce maintenance
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills;
- Three years of experience in nonprofit fundraising, project management, and/or grant writing preferred;
- Strong organizational skills, time-management, attention to details, and ability to work independently;
- Proven track record of working in a collaborative environment, with demonstrated success in raising funds from foundations and government sources;
- Prior Salesforce (or CRM) database management experience preferred;
- Ability to use Google Docs, Word, Excel, Salesforce, and PowerPoint/reporting tools.