Who we are
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chat-bots to chat-shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia. We ignite girls’ confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future, inspiring and equipping them to make choices and changes in their lives.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
Girl Effect has big ambitions to deliver significant change for adolescent girls. To achieve our goals, we are looking for a Director of Communications to create and oversee the delivery of a dynamic communications strategy that will tell our story to audiences around the world.
The Director of Communications leads Girl Effect’s global marketing and communications team, managing multiple team members and agencies. Working closely with the leadership team, you will have overall responsibility for the strategic direction for how the Girl Effect brand shows up in the world. You will oversee activities across owned and earned media - including, but not limited to, all corporate communication, marketing, press, events and awards, digital channels, and creative production - to ensure we’re reaching and engaging audiences in the most effective way. You will work with teams around the world to create compelling content and plan campaigns that will inspire ongoing support for our work, and position Girl Effect as a preferred partner in social behavior change communications.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on leader who is organized, resourceful, flexible and creative, with a track record of crafting and executing high-impact communications strategies. Excellent writing skills and an understanding of the news cycle and media environment are also key.
The Director of Communications reports to the Head of Strategic Partnerships and Innovation, working closely with Girl Effect’s leadership team, Board of Directors and other external stakeholders as appropriate.
What you will do
As our Director of Communications, you will be responsible for developing effective messaging and communications strategies.You will work closely with other leaders across the organization to define short- and long-term strategies, and connect with internal and external stakeholders to maximize the impact of Girl Effect. The Director of Communications is responsible for the day-to-day management of the marketing and communications teams, ensuring that activities align with the organization’s strategic plan and initiatives.
Key responsibilities include:
- The creation of Girl Effect’s marcomms strategy to deliver impact with our audiences and support fundraising goals
- Managing the marketing and communications budget
- Defining Girl Effect’s brand voice and maintaining brand integrity across all platforms
- Managing the marketing and communications team to deliver all communications - from campaigns, marketing materials and assets, right through to an engagement plan for Girl Effect’s CEO
- Managing and developing key relationships with influencers, media and partners.
- Developing an integrated internal communications strategy to drive an effective and high impact networked culture
- Maintaining the reputation of the organization, working with Girl Effect’s Leadership Team to mitigate against risk
- Working with teams around the world to monitor the impact of government, policy, and the external environment on Girl Effect and our ability to operate in the countries we work
- Measuring and reporting marketing and communications metrics at regular intervals to ensure impact
Who you are
- You are a true people-person with an outgoing nature. You are a self starter driven by results
- You have 10+ years of communications experience and have shown an ability to lead successful teams
- You have experience of delivering marketing and communication activities in the following sectors: international development, tech, media, or the third sector
- You have significant experience of working with the press - both proactively and reactively
- You have excellent writing and speaking skills and use them to compel individuals to action
- You are organized, prepared, detail-oriented and follow through on promises
- You are entrepreneurial, a natural influencer and able to work effectively with others at all levels and from all disciplines
- You are culturally aware and respectful - curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct. In particular:
- To take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is a remote role.
Applications close on 20th February 2022