About Swing Left
Swing Left is a national grassroots organization working to elect Democrats up and down the ballot. We make it possible for anyone to make a big impact on the elections that determine the balance of power in our country, by volunteering and donating in key races. Since launching in 2017, Swing Left volunteers have raised more than $40 million for more than 300 candidates and civic organizations and made more than 40 million combined phone calls, door knocks, and letters sent to voters via its affiliate Vote Forward and their partners.
The Software Engineer position will work to enhance and evolve our software platforms and build additional tools and data infrastructure to support our mission. This role reports to the Senior Director, Software Engineering and is an at-will position that we anticipate will end after the 2022 election cycle, with the possibility of extension into the 2024 election cycle if you and the organization decide to extend the employment.
- Enhance and maintain our existing software platforms to power existing and future voter turnout and other civic engagement campaigns.
- Design and build additional software, data infrastructure, and analytical tools necessary to solidify and build on the organization’s position as a destination for volunteers and a practitioner of maximally effective civic engagement work in the years ahead.
- Help ensure our software and systems follow rigorous security practices.
- Build and use monitoring tools to ensure our systems are consistently up and running smoothly.
- Help support other team members in their use of complex tools.
- Engage with volunteers and other users to troubleshoot, understand requirements, debug and fix problems, and make user experience improvements.
Successful Software Engineer candidates will have
- 5+ years experience as a full-time, full-stack software developer.
- Strong proficiency in SQL, Postgres experience preferred.
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform (GAE, Cloud Run, Cloud SQL, etc.), Docker + docker-compose, shell scripting, and other devops tools and processes.
- Comfortable working effectively with remote teams and being productive while working from home.
- Flexibility and willingness to roll up your sleeves and get things done on a small and fast-paced team.
Working at Swing Left
The Software Engineer position is a full-time, remote position.
We are an equal opportunity employer and seek applications from all qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas at this time.
We believe that the GOP’s bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working-class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ people. As we seek to build both a political system and organization that represents and uplifts these voices, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities and members of other marginalized communities.