Plant with Purpose is a global Christian organization that addresses issues of deforestation and climate change, while empowering people to lift their communities out of rural poverty. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in operating at the nexus of Environmental Restoration, Economic Development, and Spiritual Impact. We believe that we honor God when we honor people and our planet. Come join our growing team and make a difference at this critical time in human history.
Plant With Purpose THRIVE 25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we are driven to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and nearly 900,000 people. Our revenue will exceed $19 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
On July 1, 2020 we launched into a new strategic period where we plan to grow an average of 30% per year by 2025. The Donor Communications Specialist will contribute to achieving this goal by working with the Marketing Team to advance the Plant With Purpose brand, elevate our voice, and nurture lead and donor relationships. We are looking for a team member who loves storytelling, influencing through the written word, and using their creative skills to connect people to impact.
You know that it isn’t enough just to write an email. Because if that email doesn’t connect with your target audience, and generate a response - what’s the point right? You may even be thinking “I could improve this job posting.” If this sounds like you, we look forward to receiving your application. As the Donor Communications Specialist, you will create high performance, multi-channel content, moving current and future donors to increasingly deeper levels of engagement and financial commitment. While writing will be the primary responsibility of this role, we are a collaborative team and your role on the team will be to help craft and execute campaigns, donor journey strategy, and more.
We prefer that you live within San Diego County, but we will still consider your application if you are based out of somewhere within the continental United States.
Approximately 5% travel time, domestically and internationally.
On the average workday, you will be based out of your home office. We will request that you visit the San Diego office at least once per year, if located outside of the Southern California region.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position
You will report to the Director of Marketing & Communications. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Content Creation (Print/digital/Media) in the areas of:
- Donor Journey Emails/Direct Mail
- Ongoing marketing reports
- Campaign strategy & content
- Articles, blogs, press releases, marketing copy, website content and social media support
- Provide support to the Major Donor Team.
- In collaboration with the marketing team, support the development team. Work with the Director of Development and the Vice President of Marketing and Development to execute communications strategy for major gifts.
- Serve as a liaison to the major donor team to assess needs, adapt marketing material and appeals, and create assets to support major gifts, and tree funding appeals/goals.
- Create/adapt content-based marketing assets for regional hubs (major & organizational donors), leads/donor acquisition (primarily mass & mid-tier), church & organizational engagement, events, etc.
- Other general marketing and communications duties such as:
- Provide oversight, as needed, for programs targeting specific audience segments, i.e. Purpose Partners (mid-tier), churches, etc.
- Support for/Collaboration with all Marketing & Development initiatives as required
- Support for Lead and Donor acquisition campaigns/nurture (drip campaigns)
WHAT WE’LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, English or related field
- You have 2-3 years direct marketing experience
- Specialized training and/or experience in development copywriting
- Experience crafting donor journey and campaign emails
- You have the ability to motivate and influence through the written word
- You have experience with creating content for marketing automation
- You have been described by others as having cross-cultural awareness and sensitivity
- You have a deep commitment to the professional quality of your work, including strong editing, proofreading, and grammar (and you can identify several style and grammar mistakes in this job description)
- You are a master at telling stories (narrative nonfiction)
- You have strong project management skills, including time management, organizational skills, and effectively communicating with other team members.
- You consistently meet deadlines and thrive in a fast, frequently changing environment
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed
- You approach team-based work as a servant leader
- You have curiosity and the desire to persuade through storytelling
- You have the ability to initiate, self start, work independently, and seek out solutions
- You are innovative and willing to take risks
- You are fluent in the use of MacOS, Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) and Google Suite products (GDrive, GDocs, GSheets)
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live within and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of inclusion and belonging in our local, national, and global families. Being a member of the Plant With Purpose team as the Donor Communications Specialist will require you to be a communicator, a learner, a servant leader, and an includer in the following ways:
- You have a deep connection with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the “we” over the “me”
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful as a member of a team when each person on the team succeeds.
- As a team member, you pay attention to diversity of thinking and psychological safety, and believe you play an active role in team cohesion.
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback. You demonstrate humility as a leader by admitting mistakes, knowing when to step back, and creating spaces for others to speak up and contribute.
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand by asking clarifying questions
- You seek out learning and development opportunities for yourself
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them