The mission of Friends of the Arava Institute (FAI) is to support the critical work of the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies (AIES) through public awareness, student recruitment, and fundraising campaigns. Located in Israel, the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies is a leading environmental studies and research institute in the Middle East. It houses accredited academic programs, research centers, and international cooperation initiatives focusing on a range of environmental concerns and challenges. With a student body comprised of Jordanians, Palestinians, Israelis, and participants from around the world, the Arava Institute offers students an exceptional opportunity to learn from leading professionals while forming friendships and developing skills that enable them to lead the region and the world in solving today’s most pressing environmental challenges. Friends of the Arava Institute is located in Newton Center, MA and supports efforts throughout North America.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Communications and Development Manager (CDM) is responsible for creating and implementing the print and digital communications strategy for the organization. The CDM will also create the fundraising appeal content, for both print and electronic appeals and accompanying donor correspondences. This staff position may create / support creation of virtual and live events. The Communications and Development Manager will work with the Chief Development Officer and CEO and additional staff team as appropriate. Excellent writing and analytical skills are essential. Candidates must be self-motivated, detail oriented, and highly organized. This is a full-time exempt position. Preference for candidate who can work in the office.
Communications and Marketing
- Create electronic and print communications to promote the organization’s message using frequent emails, quarterly e-newsletters via Mailchimp, social media, blogs, FAI and AIES’ websites, print, and other communication vehicles
- Expand and deepen FAI’s and AIES’ social media presence
Event Planning & Management
- FAI holds periodic virtual and live events and travel. Events may include but are not limited to: speakers, annual meeting, annual North American alumni conference, alumni visits, development activities, Israel Ride, and Beyond Borders tour.
- Craft print and electronic fundraising campaigns, draft donor correspondence, and support the development committee.
- Minimum three to five years of relevant professional experience
- Microsoft Office, Canva, Adobe InDesign, Mailchimp, Wordpress
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong personal commitment to the vision and mission of the organization, and sensitivity to differences when working with people from other countries and cultures.
- Willing to assume a high level of responsibility and take initiative.
- Enjoys working with a small team in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with US-based organizations operating in the Middle East a plus.
- Able to travel. While not required, there is a possibility for travel within the US or to Israel.