The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and its sister projects. The WMF vision is to “imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.” We want to cultivate an environment that is equitable and inclusive for our staff, and one that reflects the diversity of who we serve: all human beings.
The HR Operations team sits at the center of our Talent & Culture team, and stewards the employee experience at the Foundation. As an HR Operations Manager, your role will be both strategic and operational while leading a lean team of HR professionals. From onboarding, total rewards, staff changes, and offboarding, you will partner with various departments to uncover implementable solutions that empower our globally distributed teams to reach their full potential of delivering their best work. You are resourceful and agile, spearheading changes to existing infrastructure to help us scale. You are also creative and fearless in identifying new programs, systems, and guidelines to support the shifting needs of the organization. In all that you do, Wikimedia values and our people-first philosophy will be at the core of your work. This role reports to the Director of Global HR Operations and can be based anywhere in the world.
You are responsible for:
- Overseeing the hire to retire employee life-cycle by collaborating with departments to ensure robust processes for new-hire onboarding, talent movement and development, retention and offboarding; ensure that each touchpoint sparks a positive, inclusive, and timely employee experience.
- Developing and motivating a lean but growing team of direct reports to develop expertise needed to effectively provide guidance, clarity and exceptional customer service to staff
- Managing global staff compensation by collecting survey data, performing market analysis, and proposing recommendations in alignment with the organization’s compensation plans
- Serving effectively as the point of contact for HR-related vendor relationships
- Managing relationships with Legal, Finance, HR and department managers to support Wikimedia’s contractors and extended workforce needs
- Maintaining clear workflow documentation for employee life cycle processes; ensure the T&C Office Wiki for staff is up to date
- Leading, advising, and project-managing HR programs, compliance changes, roll out of future HRIS functions to ensure resiliency of staff and leadership
- Serving as a thought-partner for T&C related committees, including diversity, career paths, performance, engagement, etc.
- Partnering cross-functionally with other members of the T&C function such as Recruiting, D&I, and Learning & Development to ensure seamless flow of information
- Partnering with outside counsel to assist employees on immigration needs and requirements
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in HR with experience managing a team, ideally for an international organization
- Strong driver in complex changes that involve people, processes, and systems
- Competency in using analytics to uncover insights and support better decision making
- Ability to build strong, trust-based relationships across all levels of the organization
- Proven track record of partnering cross-functionally and building consensus through influence
- High tolerance for change, as well as proactive spirit in navigating and supporting staff through change management
- Proven track record of handling confidential/sensitive information with grace and empathy
- Experience managing operational transactions at scale within SLAs
- Understanding of US immigration, ideally with experience in visa processing
- Excellent demonstrated project management experience
- Impeccable attention to detail, and proven track record of meeting deadlines
- Ability to work effectively in globally distributed teams
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience in a non-profit, preferably tech-inflected environment
- International time zone and virtual community experience
- Strong desire to learn and be part of free access and open source movement
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501©(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers’ benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record