UltraViolet is hiring a Vice President, Organizational Advancement (VPOA) to oversee the organization’s finance, fundraising, and operations departments. The VPOA is a member of the organization’s leadership team and a close partner with the Executive Director, responsible for driving the internal operations and strategic organizational growth of UltraViolet.
Reports to: Executive Director
Supervises: Advancement Director, Director of Finance, Director of Operations and Human Resources
In 2012, UltraViolet was launched to harness the collective power of millions of people to advance women’s equity through rapid-response digital organizing.
Since then, UltraViolet has been the premier national organization elevating all of the issues that impact women’s lives across identity–from intimate partner and state violence to health care to economic policy–to a national audience. Our goal has been to expose sexism and rape culture by using rapid-response campaigns to create public accountability and advocate for solutions.
To do that, over the last eight years, we’ve built a sustained community of 1.2 million committed and engaged activists in every state and congressional district across the country, and ignited a new wave of feminist activism.
Moving ahead, UltraViolet will focus on building an intersectional feminist community online by creating compelling stories and offering ways to take action that center the voices and perspectives of women of color, Indigenous women, and LGBTQ people. It is these stories–from our members and our staff–that will drive demand for the kind of changes women need. If fighting for a world beyond patriarchy–where people of all backgrounds and identities thrive with freedom and dignity–is your passion, UltraViolet is the organization for you!
UltraViolet is an organization run by women, immigrants, people of color, Indigenous women, and LGBTQ+ people. Sexism disparately impacts us, and we strongly encourage people from these and other impacted communities to apply.
UltraViolet’s Vice President, Organizational Advancement (VPOA) is a member of the organization’s leadership team and oversees the following categories of work:
Organizational Development & Strategy
- Responsible for ensuring the organization’s priorities, goals, and practices align with its vision and mission, including managing goal setting and strategic planning processes and conducting regular impact assessments
- Manages regular assessment of staffing, management, organizational culture, and internal structures, including organizational and staff evaluations
- Leads training and professional development for the organization, including coaching and training for staff managers
- Drives long-term analysis of and strategies related to organizational development, in close consultation with the Executive Director
Operations & Human Resources
- Supervises the Director of Operations and Human Resources to manage human resource functions, including hiring, benefits, and employee policies, and core operations functions, including legal compliance, risk management, and corporate management
- Topline responsible for regular UltraViolet staff meetings and retreats, working closely with the DOHR
- Point person on managing the UVEF and UVA Board of Directors
Finance & Fundraising
- Supervises the Director of Finance to manage UltraViolet’s day-to-day financial activities, organizational policies and accounting practices, and financial oversight and analysis
- Supervises the Advancement Director to manage UltraViolet’s fundraising and donor management toward ambitious and strategic goals
- Ensures regular financial updates are communicated to the leadership team and the Board of Directors, and advises the Executive Director, Board, and staff in financial decision-making
These are the required skills for this position:
- 10 or more years experience working for progressive nonprofit organizations, including at least five years experience managing staff
- Deep experience with nonprofit organizational operations and management
- Expertise in building and supporting team culture, ideally in a virtual/remote setting, and executing inclusive, values-driven staff retreats
- Proven experience driving values- and mission-driven organizational processes, including goal setting, hiring, strategic planning, and evaluations
- Experience working in intersectional feminist organizing and/or racial justice organizing
- Deep commitment to UltraViolet’s mission to dismantle the white supremacist patriarchy
We’re hoping you’ll bring one or two (or more) of these bonus skills:
- Deep experience in one or more of the following areas: foundation or major donor fundraising, nonprofit financial management, or human resources
- Experience assessing and developing staff and manager professional development programs
- Previous experience in advocacy, digital organizing, or electoral politics
- Past experience managing nonprofit boards of directors towards ambitious goals and engagement
You will thrive in this role if you’re someone who:
- Likes the idea of working remotely, since we are an all-remote organization
- Is comfortable juggling multiple tasks and can thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Loves bringing teams together and coaching staff and managers to be their best
- Thrives in a leadership role and a low ego, collaborative environment
- Is an excellent project manager and can manage a project seamlessly from start to finish