Avaaz reaches tens of millions of citizens every week with opportunities to change the world. This includes protecting our planet from climate change and other threats, fighting to stop social media from undermining our democracies, and deepening human connection.
Our tech needs are growing, and we’re now looking for Technical Project Managers to join our tight-knit group of outstanding professionals, working from home in 25 countries. If you’re up for an adventure, read on…
Some of the things we’ve been working on are…
- A system for citizens to report disinformation ahead of the EU and US elections
Reporting on how YouTube’s recommendation algorithm promotes climate denial
- Connecting citizens stuck at home during the coronavirus pandemic
- Providing our campaigns team with detailed statistics to measure campaign success
- Porting our existing architecture to more flexible, containerized services
The Online Campaigner is a technical generalist with strong project management, product development, UI/UX expertise and campaigning skills. Duties include supporting weekly online campaigns, training of campaigners in use of our online platform, monitoring email deliverability, technical documentation, tracking and managing small software development projects, and carrying out smaller discrete tech projects such as building web pages or leading the creation of innovative new products.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Anticipate, suggest, and oversee the implementation and delivery of creative technological solutions for specific campaigning needs.
- Carry out support processes, e.g. help desk, software testing, data reporting
- Research new technologies and recommend how/if to integrate with Avaaz technology platform
- Participate in day-to-day tech work related to Avaaz campaigning, including web design, email deliverability, A/B testing, analytics, optimization, quality assurance testing, training, and support
- Participate in the core Avaaz campaigning workflow by suggesting new technological strategies, methods, and optimizations to existing campaigns.
- Improve campaigning through designing, implementing and improving tech systems.
- Fluency in English is a requirement
- Competency in modern HTML, CSS, and JS best practices and familiarity with one or more common frameworks like Bootstrap
- Intermediate or better web client-side debugging skills
- Strong, demonstrable mobile and desktop expertise in UI Design, including interface design and layout, visual design, and interaction design.
- Ability to read and write SQL queries of moderate complexity
- Delivery-oriented with high attention to detail and without paralyzing perfectionism
- Project and product management experience
- Communication skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Strong culture match for Avaaz and affinity for globalist online campaigning
Avaaz is a movement that brings together 55 million citizens from across the world, with a mission to help solve some of the world’s biggest problems. Its entire budget comes from small citizen donations, meaning Avaaz is independent and able to take on organisations such as Facebook, Monsanto and the Murdoch media which many other groups cannot.
Avaaz is a fully virtual organisation, coordinating work using email, Skype and other tools. Our staff are based all over the world. Applicants from any timezone may apply. Avaaz will support you to set up a home or co-working environment that leads to excellence in delivery and long-term sustainability.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation varies with location and experience, but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organisations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year (prorated as applicable).