The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) is looking for a talented Data Visualization Specialist to support its global team of researchers and analysts and to help promote its content.
IEEFA conducts research and analysis on financial and economic issues related to energy and the environment. The organization’s mission is to accelerate the transition to a diverse, sustainable and profitable energy economy and to reduce dependence on fossil fuels and other non-renewable energy resources. IEEFA produces a substantial volume of original research on changing energy markets across the globe. In 2019, our research was covered in over 6,000 articles (and pickups of articles) worldwide. Find out more at www.ieefa.org
Roles and Responsibilities
The specialist will contribute compelling graphics, charts and multimedia visuals to enhance IEEFA’s print and digital content, primarily focused on energy economics, policy and finance, including data from EIA, Morningstar, Moody’s, and other relevant sources.
The Data Visualization Specialist will be responsible for:
- Creating and editing visual content including maps, charts, and graphs.
- Transforming data sets, quantitative and qualitative analysis into compelling visuals.
- Providing visual, technical and editorial guidance.
- Working closely with the communications team to help promote IEEFA content including reports, briefs, commentary and visual data.
- Meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
S/he will work remotely in collaboration with IEEFA’s senior Data Analyst and support design projects ranging from charts and graphs to maps and tables. The specialist will work closely with IEEFA’s communications team as well as its global network of experts.
This role requires an independent self-starter with a strong affinity for numbers and quantitative data. An interest in sustainable energy is a plus. Familiarity with visual journalism would also be helpful. We are seeking candidates with:
- A minimum of three years of experience in data visualization, ideally 4-5+ years.
- Excellent visual skills, including demonstrable design knowledge, such as layout, typography, color, interaction design and fluency with Adobe tools.
- Strong cartography skills.
- Expertise with charting and other data visualization techniques.
- Fluency with Adobe Illustrator, Excel and Photoshop.
- Experience with data journalism and associated tools, such as GIS.
- Creative vision, a passion for learning and willingness to adopt and share new ideas.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently under tight deadlines.
This consultancy will initially involve 15-20 hours per week with growth potential. The Data Visualization Specialist will need to be set up to work remotely and will preferably be based in North America.