is a nonprofit media organization devoted to publishing evidence-based news, analysis, commentary, and investigative reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. Our work is based on the core roles of journalism in a democratic society: to speak truth to power, foster public knowledge, and provide facts on issues more commonly shrouded in misinformation and ideology. Rewire.News
is an independent 501©(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer; we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all races, ethnic groups, and genders.
Rewire.News seeks a part-time Legal Research Project Temp to assist in the maintenance of our Legislative Tracker. The legal researcher will work closely with our Vice President of Law and the Courts and Senior Legal Analyst. This is a temporary project position, expected to be six (6) months in duration. The legal researcher will:
- Monitor and maintain legislation data through tools and resources – such as Bloomberg Government;
- Analyze, summarize, and create entries for anti-choice legislation into the Legislative Tracker;
- Write summaries regarding key anti-choice legislative topics for the Legislative Tracker with possibility of bylines summarizing legislative developments in the states;
- Provide assistance and feedback, as appropriate, to further develop the Legislative Tracker and any related projects.
The ideal candidate for this position has:
- Familiarity with reading and analyzing state and federal legislation;
- Strong research, analysis, and writing skills;
- Ability to create and maintain complex spreadsheets;
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines, while also working well as part of the team;
- Ability to successfully work remotely;
- An undergraduate degree with research as part of the academic curriculum – graduate legal education is a plus;
- Previous research project experience is a plus;
- A strong work ethic, ability to take direction and critique, and a sense of humor are ideal, as is an interest in social justice issues;
- Willingness to follow and operate within stated Rewire.News policies.
Rewire.News is primarily a virtual organization and therefore, candidates for this position must have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work.