Chief Executive Officer
Open Excellence (Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care)
Wilsonville, OR (Portland area)
As the new brand for the Foundation for Excellence in Mental Health Care, Open Excellence seeks to connect the passion of private philanthropy with the world’s top researchers and programs to bring recovery–based care and support to every community. The organization was founded on the principle that people experiencing distress should be treated as people first—not as diagnoses or cases. Its core beliefs revolve around the conviction that the current medical model of mental illness should be challenged in favor of a wellness model where the expectation is recovery rather than a lifetime of disability.
Open Excellence links people from around the globe who share a common dedication to improving mental health outcomes through promising new programs. By relying less on medication and more on engaging families and communities, these programs empower individuals to create their own path to recovery.
Open Excellence is currently structured on a community foundation model and encompasses a variety of initiatives and funds, including donor-advised funds. It is a convener of interested parties and a catalyst for positive change in the field. Supported through donations from individuals, corporations, foundations and legacy gifts, it engages in a broad scope of activity to advance independent research, innovative programs and its own initiatives. It has a staff of 4.5 FTEs and an annual budget of approximately $1 million. For more information about Open Excellence, visit their website at OpenExcellence.org
Open Excellence is seeking a Chief Executive Officer to lead and grow its U.S. and international programs. The successful candidate will have a passion for recovery-based care and be able to skillfully engage key constituencies to improve the mental health system. The CEO should embody an entrepreneurial spirit, seeking out creative new initiatives and engaging funders to enable those efforts.
- Provide thought leadership in charting a strategic pathway for the future of Open Excellence with a process that engages staff, governing board, scientific advisory council, fund advisors and donors.
- Increase awareness of the mission and goals of Open Excellence to promote recovery-based mental health care in every community.
- Evaluate, prioritize, and seek funding for opportunities for recovery-based mental health care research, education and programs.
- Sustain and expand the financial strength of the organization through fundraising and revenue-generating activities.
- Skillfully manage staff, programs and financial resources to achieve the goals of the organization.
- Work collaboratively and effectively with the board of directors and key stakeholders.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Characteristics
- Passion for the mission of Open Excellence and a heartfelt commitment to its philosophy of recovery-based care and wellness.
- A successful track record of nonprofit management, especially in health or social justice-related organizations.
- Strong interpersonal skills as a convener and bridge-builder to forge partnerships among diverse stakeholders with sometimes differing views.
- Comfortable in seeking donations from high net worth individuals and other funders.
- Exceptional public speaking, presentation and motivational abilities.
- Budgeting, accounting and financial management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degrees preferred.
- History of a disability and/or personal experience with mental health services is an asset.
- Willingness and ability to travel to meet with partners and donors and attend meetings.
Location & Compensation
Open Excellence is headquartered in Wilsonville, OR. The preference is for the CEO to be based in the area, though a remote work arrangement may be an option for the right candidate. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance (75% premium payment based on Health Insurance Marketplace Silver Plan) and retirement (401K with 3% match).
Open Excellence does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or military status.