Rewire.News seeks a versatile, organized director of technology to oversee our technical operation and assets. The ideal candidate will be a resourceful self-starter with a good sense of humor who can function as both a one-person show and as part of the broader team. The Director of Technology will:
- Be responsible for technological operation, upkeep, and effectiveness of Rewire.News at all times, which includes a website, social media platforms, and multimedia assets.
- Be responsible for anticipating, analyzing, creating a plan of action, and planning execution and quality control for problems with or updates needed to programs, coding, structure, and functionality of the site, or quickly seeking expert help to do so.
- Hire/secure technical contractors and vendors and manage the relationships by developing deadline-driven workplans and ensuring that the work is completed on-time, on-budget, and to a high standard.
- Maintain a unified style for the website and our other platforms via a range of tasks including formatting, multimedia integration, and organization via metadata.
- Monitor website analytics, analyze and prepare regular, actionable reports, including comparing results to current research on progress-related elements with related websites and website metrics.
- Provide technical support to maintain email lists and, as needed, newsletter products.
- Upgrade (proactively and as needed) and otherwise maintain WordPress backend, module updates and best practices.
- Oversee and manage the execution with outside consultants and experts on the development of new features and capabilities of the website using WordPress and complementary technologies and methods.
- Support Rewire.News staff with hardware and software needs.
- Provide other technical support as needed
The ideal candidate for this position demonstrates:
- 5+ years of experience managing a large web-based publication or website
- A thorough understanding of code management using GitHub
- A thorough understanding of current trends in internet technology
- A thorough understanding of website building and management techniques
- Strong proficiency with professional web and graphic editing products, such as Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong proficiency at common work applications and tools, such as Microsoft Office, G Suite, and Adobe Acrobat
- Proficiency at research on the internet
- Proficiency with Salesforce preferred
- Familiarity with email marketing tools
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute on projects, managing toward timelines and deliverables personally and when working with others
- Ability to determine when outside consultants are needed and oversee that work and relationship
- Able to work in a rapid-response environment, manage multiple tasks effectively while maintaining attention to detail and working well under pressure
- An interest in social justice issues
- Reliability, responsibility, self-direction and the ability to be a team-player
- Excellent communications skills
- Ability to successfully work remotely
- Willingness to follow and operate within stated Rewire.News policies.
Note: We are not able to pursue candidates who require work visa sponsorship.
Rewire.News is primarily a virtual organization and therefore, candidates for this position must have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work. However, candidates must be based in either the New York City or Washington, DC Metro areas.
Rewire.News offers competitive compensation and a generous benefits package that includes a 401(k) plan with employer contributions; health and dental insurance; flexible spending accounts; vacation and sick leave; and employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, STD and LTD. Salary range: $95-105k, depending on demonstrated experience, skills, and seniority.