The Director of Finance and Operations oversees finance and operations for Change Elemental, serving as a strategic partner to the organizational leaders on matters of finance, business, operations and administration. Supervising the finance and operations team, the Director of Finance and Operations is a critical liaison across the organizational functions, systems and practices.
Collaborate and coordinate with people across the organization to ensure that finance, operations and administrative functions and processes support all staff in being efficient, humanly sustainable and effective as possible.
- Manage the operations team and liaise with consulting staff who support or lead administrative and human resources functions (e.g., Board Liaison; People Sustainability and Org Culture Lead, etc.) to ensure processes are efficient and most supportive of the organization’s fiscal and human sustainability.
- Connect the dots within Change Elemental and leading experiments/improvement efforts to streamline operational, administrative and financial systems
- Ensure that multiple efforts are moving forward in a timely manner (holding overall timelines, milestones and deliverables for this area)
- Manage administrative functions like IT (software and hardware), scheduling, legal issues, coordination of internal teams and meetings, and overall operations support for the entire staff
- Work in concert with “People Sustainability and Org Culture” Lead to ensure we have and are implementing human resource systems consistent with our values and 5 elements and in compliance with relevant laws and policies.
- Ensure that consultants’ administrative needs are effectively supported
- Contribute to development of the organizational culture, including bridging between the operations team and the consulting staff
- Supervise operations staff and vendors, lead operations team meetings, and support operations staff in their ongoing development (including ensuring they have access to resources and coaching to support development around equity and inner work)
- Support current operations improvement projects
- Transition from Wrike to new platforms and processes for project management, communications, scheduling system for consulting and operations staff
- Complete the G-suite migration
- Oversee implementation of the filing protocol and archive of Google Drive on Box
Fiscal Management (50%)
Ensure, in concert with others (codirectors, fundraising lead, etc.), that we have the finances needed to do the work in a humanly sustainable way and with the depth and scale required.
- Develop monthly and annual financial reports (e.g., income and expenses, balance sheet, estimated revenue by consultants, cash flow, etc.)
- Develop annual budget (in collaboration with CoDirectors). Monitor, predict, and adjust actual to budget forecast.
- Make decisions on overages, overruns, surpluses, past due A/R, and Equity & Innovation Fund awards to support financial health.
- Complete bookkeeping (including re-coding entries, reconciliation with banks, reconciliation between QuickBooks and Harvest (our timekeeping and invoicing system), etc.)
- Coordinate annual audit and 990 filing
- Oversee accounts receivables and accounts payables (including invoicing)
- Ensure that we have the right technology supports for the organization’s financial needs (e.g., Gusto, Harvest, Bills.com, Expensify)
- Manage payroll
- Ensure that Change Elemental is in compliance regarding taxes, insurance, and benefits
- Oversee benefits (in collaboration with the People Sustainability Chrysalis Lead), including equitable selection of and access to benefits, individual enrollment and eligibility, and tracking benefits eligibility and usage (e.g., vacation, sabbatical, professional development and other reimbursements, etc.)
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting for timesheets and expenses
- Oversee monthly comp time analysis
Business Models and Financial Strategy Development
- Works with CoDirectors and Board treasurer as needed to provide organizational financial oversight and reporting
- Think strategically about business model and develop an operating tool for financial forecasting
- Oversee pipeline management, in concert with consulting staff, such that intakes and data is tracked in Harvest, Salesforce, and Google and we can regularly analyze business/pipeline in order to predict organizational needs moving forward
- Ensure–in concert with Human Sustainability lead– accurate understanding and sustainable levels of consultant workload (i.e., projections, alternative approaches to workflow and client management)
- Support the Chrysalis Fundraising Lead by tracking submission deadlines and providing documentation needed (e.g., for proposals, reporting, budgets, appeals, thank yous, etc.)
Holding the Whole (10%)
- Supporting the Leadership Team in “holding the whole” of Change Elemental
- Execute on strategies developed by the Chrysalis Team Leads (e.g., support culture change, shift operational functions, restructure roles and processes, develop workplans, etc.)
- Engage in organizational experiments that advance Change Elemental’s human and financial sustainability vision
- Develop financial models, projections, and recommendations about how to operationalize vision
- Develop policies and practices that advance Change Elemental’s vision and values
At least 5 years of experience with financial management and accounting in an organization with grant revenue, earned income, deferred revenue, and annual audits
- At least 5 years of experience leading an operations, administration, and finance team
- Technologically savvy, with examples of having worked with IT staff to develop and implement new processes and systems that increased efficiency in a fast-moving environment
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, proposing new ways of creating efficiencies, and guiding investment in people and systems
- Flexible self-starter, comfortable working remotely and able to multitask while also being highly detail-oriented in a virtual work environment
- Working knowledge of IT, G-suite, legal, HR systems and compliance, and nonprofit budgets, financial management, and audits
- Strength in equity and inner work, including the following:
- Actively participated or worked in systems where racial equity is centered
- Self-awareness and orientation towards personal growth and inner-work
- Demonstrated commitment to equity as a value, knowledge base, skillset, and practice
- Strength in teaming, including the following:
- Excellent people management, supervision skills, and problem-solving ability
- Experience collaborating in a team with multiple formal and informal authorities
- CPA, CMA, or MBA - or the equivalent experience with financial management and accounting
- Some experience in managing diversity, equity, and inclusion processes
- Experience working in a virtual environment
This position reports directly to the CoDirectors and is responsible for supervising two to three staff members.