Location: Brooklyn, NY or remote within the US
Target Start Date: April 28, 2020
Salary Range: $58,000 - $68,000 (Offers will vary based on experience and location-based cost-of-living calculations)
Benefits: Vision, dental, & medical insurance; 403(b) retirement savings plan; generous vacation policy; parental leave; long-term disability; employee assistance program
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.
, our first service, helps voters register, stay registered, and cast a ballot in every election, from municipal to national. We’ve signed up more than seven million voters for TurboVote by building the largest college, nonprofit, and corporate voter engagement coalition in the country, including more than 300 campuses, nonprofits, like Headcount, the Sierra Club, Climate Strikes, and the Hispanic Federation, companies like Starbucks, Univision, Facebook, Google, Snap, and dozens more
. We also helped (basically) everyone find their polling place through the Voting Information Project
. Its data had 123 million impressions in 2016, and over 11 million voters looked up where to vote on GetToThePolls.com
. Ballot Scout
helps election administrators track absentee ballots through the mail, providing transparency in the vote-by-mail process and making it easier to follow up when things go awry. And in 2018, we became the organizational home of the National Association of State Election Directors
The communications team ensures the vision of Democracy Works is clearly and creatively articulated to our stakeholders in a variety of contexts. We develop strategic communication plans and programs for our internal and external audiences, promoting the mission and brand of Democracy Works across several channels. We love democracy and are excited to communicate our work to strengthen it.
As a part of the team, you will:
- Support and maintain a strategic, goal-oriented vision for all Democracy Works internal and external communication projects
- Develop fresh story ideas: Proactively research and write materials to tell our story and engage a variety of audiences (i.e. website, blog and social media content)
- Produce communication materials: Prepare executive talking points and bios, briefing materials, newsletters, and presentations that align with our organization’s strategic goals and branding
- Assist other teams by copy-editing and proofreading written content
- Brainstorm strategic outreach ideas, and produce creative content for new and ongoing projects
- Media outreach: Identify strategic narratives and compelling storylines to pitch relevant reporters and secure timely media coverage
- Media monitoring: Track and report media coverage of Democracy Works, our products, campaigns, and industry trends
- Press lists: Build and maintain comprehensive press lists to develop relationships with reporters
- An effective communicator who takes pride in translating complex information to a variety of audiences
- A self-starter: a proactive and strategic thinker who prioritizes goal-oriented content creation
- A strong and persuasive writer who is passionate about the creative process of storytelling—from brainstorming to execution
- A fast learner: excited to learn about the voter engagement process and fixing our voting infrastructure
- Eager to share your ideas, build a unique brand with a strong voice, and work with a fast growing organization
- Able to think quickly and strategically
You have experience:
- Creating content in many forms, for multiple platforms, and for a wide range of audiences
- Writing for the digital world, using clear and concise language
- Managing social media platforms for brands or organizations
- Working independently, taking initiative, and providing close attention to detail
- You have supported the creation of strategic communications and outreach plans for various audiences
- Previous experience working with nonprofit organizations, political organizing, public relations, or government outreach
This position requires regular, daily use of a computer to conduct work and communicate with colleagues.
This position involves regular check-ins with your manager and your team. We also encourage developing coaching relationships with members of other teams. The communications team frequently collaborates with other departments to work on multiple projects, and develop communication materials that match our organization’s branding.
Time and travel expectations
Democracy Works’s regular operating hours are 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern Time. Two times a year, all full-time staff members participate in a five day retreat in our Brooklyn offices. All-staff is held each year in May and November.