Bat Conservation International (www.batcon.org
) is seeking qualified candidates to serve as seasonal field technicians from approximately 1 June through 30 October 2020 to conduct bat and bird fatality searches at an operating wind energy facility near Orient, Iowa. This is a great opportunity for those interested in gaining scientific research experience. Pay rate is $12/hour plus housing, utilities, internet, and vehicles provided.
Successful Applicants Will:
- Conduct standardized searches for bat and bird carcasses beneath wind turbines
- Quantify habitat characteristics
- Enter and manage datasets.
- There will also be opportunities to gain experience deployment and analysis of data collected with ultrasonic detectors and thermal cameras, including 3-D thermal videography.
- A Bachelor’s degree in biology, ecology, wildlife management or a related discipline is highly preferred.
- Applicants must be willing and capable of conducting field work in moderately rugged terrain under physically demanding conditions (e.g., hot temperatures, venomous snakes, biting insects, etc.).
- Applicants must be willing to work atypical hours and live and work well with a research team.
- Applicants must possess a valid Driver’s License.
- Background checks will be conducted before hiring is complete.
- An ideal candidate has interest in science and research, previous field work experience, and experience identifying bats and birds.
Please submit (electronic submissions only) a letter of interest, resume, and names, addresses, email and phone contacts for three references to:
Bat Conservation International
Please include “Iowa BCI Field Technician” in the subject line