This opportunity can be remote, however preferred locations are Teguciglapa Honduras, or Panama
The Senior Web Developer is responsible for maintaining several web-based systems running in a cloud environment and integrated with several external systems. Development of new features for these systems will be the main activity for this role, while also fixing any bugs and making revisions to existing features. Eventual development of new systems is expected as well.
The ideal candidate will have a background in web development on LAMP environments with knowledge of systems administration and cloud infrastructure. Global Brigades’ systems run most of the organization’s operations and process more than $20M in donations per year, so attention to detail is critical. The Web Developer will be responsible for data governance, ITGC and PCI/DSS auditing processes.
The Senior Web Developer reports directly to the Chief Operations Officer and will support in making decisions that will tangibly impact the organization’s mission and the lives of hundreds of thousands of community members in the developing world. This role is for someone who works well independently, is reliable in a virtual environment, and is passionate about making a positive impact in the world.
Global Brigades IT Systems:
Global Brigades’ systems includes, but is not limited to the following:
- One main website, www.globalbrigades.org on Wordpress
- Seven “minisites” on Wordpress
- Wordpress websites hosted on WPEngine
- Volunteer, donor, flight, trip management, MyBrigades, custom built in-house CMS/ERP (PHP,CakePHP,MySQL)
- White label version of www.empowered.org systems, connected via REST API
- Fundraising platform, www.empowered.org, custom built in-house (PHP,Zend,MySQL)
- Payments are processed by FirstData, Ogone, BluePay, Stripe among others.
- Infrastructure hosted on Google Cloud Platform
- We use Trello to organize our work
- Git repositories hosted on BitBucket
- Data integration with CRMs (HubSpot, SendGrid) systems using Google’s PubSub and Cloud Functions written in Go.
- Jenkins for Test Automation
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Monitoring of the entire infrastructure and ensure the availability of all systems.
- Bug reports analysis and fixing.
- Requirements analysis, feature design and implementation.
- Work with other teams to get interdisciplinary work done.
- Design, development and implementation of new features or systems.
- Ensure the proper integration with external services.
- Performance optimization on critical areas.
- Maintain and test the disaster recovery strategies.
- Support other areas on technical matters.
- Review and assess technology products to support purchase of tools and systems.
Required Working Development Experience:
- Web development
- PHP (MVC frameworks)
- CSS (Bootstrap)
- Payment Processor Gateways (FirstData, Stripe, etc.)
- Setting up LAMP environments and Linux administration (basic)
Required Basic Development Knowledge:
- Cloud technologies (VMs, message queues, cloud storage, serverless/FaaS)
- Zend Framework and CakePHP
Required Other Skills:
- Strong communication skills; able to work in a virtual environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite Office and Google Drive
- Organized, with an ability to prioritize time-sensitive assignments
- Creative and flexible
Other Skills Desired:
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Information Technologies, or Software Engineering
- Experience working in a remote and globally distributed team
- Working experience with CakePHP
- Working experience with Wordpress
- Working experience with Go
- Working experience with cloud environments, especially Google Cloud Platform
- Knowledge of disaster recovery plans, data integrity and cybersecurity
- Knowledge of DevOps, CI/CD concepts
- Knowledge of ITGC and PCI/DSS
Compensation and Logistics:
- Full-time role
- If candidate is based in Honduras or Panama, expected to work in local Global Brigades office
- Pay of $3,000 to $4,000 USD per month depending on experience