Define American is seeking a campaign and chapters director that will help create and execute a holistic strategy intended to win campaigns that improve the narrative around citizenship and immigrants in American society, bring about structural change, and ultimately a more inclusive culture. The ideal candidate will have experience overseeing national media and culture campaigns, membership or chapter programs. The person in this position will focus on local and national cultural and media landscapes, with the ability to see – and seize – opportunities to advance the campaign and chapters’ cultural goals. The campaign and chapters director will work jointly with the Creative Initiatives, Entertainment Media, and Communications Teams, under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
WORK SCHEDULE: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday; occasional evening and weekend work is required
LOCATION: Louisville, KY; Los Angeles, CA; New York City; Remote option is available
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
DEPARTMENT: Chapters and Campaigns
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The campaign and chapters director will work closely with Define American organizational leaders and the chapters’ leadership. The campaign and chapters director will:
- Help create and provide day-to-day management for overseeing a campaign and chapters plan that will advance humanizing portrayals of immigrants in media and culture. This includes driving strategies around our #WordsMatter, #SourcesMatter, and pop culture campaigns.
- In 2020, work with colleagues to combat xenophobia and hate, promoting the practice of citizenship in key states where the conversation about how we define American will be particularly pronounced.
- Develop relationships with and facilitate the engagement of potential/current partner organizations, advocates, and influencers at the national and local levels.
- In consultation with Define American staff, help develop more robust chapter-based efforts to promote cultural inclusion, including advising chapters on strategy. Initiate, help develop and disseminate high-impact toolkits, explainer, outreach and engagement materials for all key stakeholders, and work with staff to develop reports, issue briefs and other cultural- and research-based products to advance the campaign and chapters’ goals.
- Develop and foster a system of reflection and measurements for campaigns and initiatives created.
- Lead activities of Define American’s existing coalition work in the immigrant justice space, advise partners on strategic opportunities and represent Define American in other coalitions (or oversee staff who are doing so).
- Supervise activities of staff who manage day-to-day work with advocacy partners, private sector stakeholders, coalition partners and researchers related to immigration and American identity and, in some cases, other intersectional issues.
- Participate in building and nurturing funder relationships.
- At least eight years of progressive work experience in media campaigns, digital organizing, membership/chapter-related work.
- Prior experience leading or co-leading a national coalition – or strong working relationships with a range of advocacy or storytelling organizations relevant to American identity.
- A genuine desire to work in close partnership with peer organizations and allies to launch and win campaigns that uplift and amplify positive portrayals of new Americans.
- Experience working with and in culturally and racially diverse teams and coalitions, and creating equitable and inclusive environments, with an ability to build strong, trusting relationships that include seeking and adapting to perspectives from all members.
- A sophisticated understanding of the online organizing space, with experience utilizing new digital tools, and implementing best practices and innovative strategies to grow and sustain supporters
- Appreciation of media moments and how to use them to create positive long-term narrative change.
- A sophisticated understanding of the inter-related nature and media dynamics of a range of economic, health, gender and other domestic challenges that impact new American families.
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively in written and oral forms – leveraging data, narrative and your intrinsic passion to motivate, persuade and mobilize a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort managing junior- and mid-level staff and pride in fostering respectful team dynamics.
- Eagerness to work closely with a highly energetic, detail-oriented and passionate Executive Director, organizational leaders and peers.
- Ability to integrate into a fast-paced, team-first work environment, embracing and supporting coworkers in their objectives and goals as necessary.
- Ability and willingness to work on evenings and weekends to attend events or conferences, and to travel occasionally.
- Ability to see campaigns through from beginning to finish: from day one planning until debriefing after the campaign has ended
- This position can be remote or in our LA, Brooklyn/NY, or Louisville office. Applicants throughout the United States will be considered.
ABOUT DEFINE AMERICAN:
Define American is a leading national media and culture nonprofit organization that uses the power of stories to transcend politics and elevate the conversation about immigrants, identity and citizenship in a changing America. We were founded in 2011 by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Jose Antonio Vargas and named one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2019.
Define American is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.