ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
ReFED is a multi-stakeholder nonprofit central to the movement to reduce food waste in the United States.
ReFED was formed in 2015 and created the Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, the first ever national economic study and action plan driven by a collaboration of over thirty business, nonprofit, foundation, and government leaders committed to tackling U.S. food waste at scale. We work to eliminate food waste in order to increase food security, spur economic growth and protect the environment by enabling action through economics, data, and capital. We are a 501©3 charitable organization working across the country to achieve this vision.
Our core programs include Data & Insights, providing the nation’s most comprehensive data, insights and guidance on food waste solutions, and Capital & Innovation, working to increase funding for and capacity of food waste solutions. For more information, visit refed.com
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director will be at the heart of the organization leading our core program on Data & Insights. Initially, the Director will manage development of the Insights Engine– launching in fall of 2020, The Insights Engine is the next generation of the 2016 ReFED Roadmap, and will track a new level of detailed data on the amounts and causes of food waste, analyze costs and benefits of 50+ solutions, and track investment in the space in an interactive, online format. Subsequent to the launch, the Director will set the vision for how to use insights from this data to create action in food waste reduction. The role will also involve representing ReFED in public and private settings and effectively engaging with various stakeholders
With the launch of the Insights Engine, ReFED is at an exciting new stage of growth. This is an ideal opportunity for someone who is able to glide easily from big picture strategy to the practical limitations of coding, and can communicate complex concepts in ways that drive influence and actions by a variety of professionals. The Director should be someone who believes in the power of data to illuminate solutions and is passionate about using research, data, and analytics to drive influence, as well as social and environmental impact.
You are a good fit if you:
- Are driven to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing society today and excited to positively impact food security, economic growth and climate change
- Are passionate about using research and data to spur action
- Can identify strategic levers of change for multiple types of stakeholders
- Have experience managing data products and projects
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth organization
- Hate wasting food
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Managing development of the ReFED Insights Engine, for launch in fall 2020. This includes managing all aspects of the project being delivered by two web and web-tool development firms, a management consultant, and ReFED staff.
- Setting and executing vision for future tools and other projects associated with the Insights Engine.
- Identifying data gaps and creating partnerships or implementing other strategies to address them.
- Building relationships with food industry professionals and others to collect data and determine associated value propositions.
- Participating in discussions and preparation of materials for funders.
- Providing data from our data sets for a variety of internal and external needs.
- Representing ReFED through public speaking, media, and participation in relevant coalitions.
- 8+ years of relevant experience with product or project management, preferably related to data and/or analytics.
- Demonstrated aptitude for analyzing and interpreting data and for synthesizing complex information from multiple sources to produce data- and insight-driven products.
- Technical background, with experience in relational database design and intermediate to advanced skills in Excel, SQL Server, SQL, and programming languages such as Python or Ruby.
- Understanding of software systems, data modelling, and data collection and management.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to work independently and as self-starter and influence cross-functional teams without formal authority.
- Excellent teamwork with strong interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills.
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for the work.
- Proven ability to build high-trust and influential relationships with internal and external partners.
- Experience working with software development teams and testing software with end users.
- Comfort and skill in public speaking.
- Experience developing environmental impact methodologies of business operations such as greenhouse gas emissions, water footprint, and more.
- Strong working knowledge of food systems and sustainability.
- Experience developing and managing external contracts in partnership with operations teams.
- Demonstrated success working to promote diversity, equity and inclusion and working with remote teams.
REFED, INC. CAREERS
ReFED is a 501©(3) public charity that leads the nation to reduce food waste in order to increase food security, spur economic growth and protect the environment. ReFED, Inc. is committed to attracting, developing, and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. ReFED, Inc.’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.