The primary responsibility of the Database and Membership Services Manager is to accurately and efficiently maintain the integrity of and manage all aspects of the organization’s membership database. Key duties include database maintenance and quality assurance; integrating the database with other software applications and the web; report development; and database cleanup. This position is also responsible for responding to and resolving inquiries and requests from members as well as other customers who contact the Foundation via phone, e-mail, regular mail, or the internet. As such, this position requires an individual to have exceptional phone, organizational, interpersonal, sales aptitude, and electronic communication skills. The Database and Membership Services Manager must be customer focused, performing activities that support the membership, finance, communications, development and educational programs of the Foundation.
The Database and Membership Services Manager will also assist the Executive Director and Manager of Education in the operations and logistics of all member engagement events, including the bi-annual conference, regional meetings, and other member-related events/programs as needed.
Workspace Requirements: FWGBD is a teleworking organization, with no co-located office space. All employees work from office space which they set up and maintain, either in their homes or at other office locations. A computer and necessary software are provided by FWGBD.
Membership Database Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for entry of all membership data, including names, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mails, designations and other vital membership information according to established guidelines, as well as membership tracking and reporting, including but not limited to:
- Managing new application processing (coordinating with Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud) to ensure all new member profiles are correctly entered and billing information is accurate based on membership level selected
- Performing membership profile updates and maintenance in database as well as on website and on the LAN Intranet
- Managing recruitment and retention tracking and reports
- Collecting and analyzing current, new and potential member information
- Managing all aspects of the CRM and related Databases (i.e., LAN members, Donors, etc.)
- Generate recurring membership reports including monthly and quarterly membership details; mailing lists for e-newsletters; LAN membership rosters and Intranet access, and others
- Track progress to financial goals and other key performance metrics with a regular schedule of reporting on the growth, retention, upgrade, and engagement of the membership base
- Work closely with the Manager of Education and Bookkeeper to adhere to established processes and ensure data accuracy
- Assist in establishing, documenting, and updating of written policies and procedures describing membership processes, systems, rules, and guidelines
- Work with staff to fully utilize and advance capacities of CRM database (Raiser’s Edge by Blackbaud)
- Other duties as assigned
Membership Relations Duties and Responsibilities:
- In concert with Manager of Education, oversee new member engagement process and ensure appropriate outreach is made via membership acknowledgment mailings and fulfillment procedures
- In concert with Manager of Education, host new member orientation webinars to ensure new members feel welcome and understand the suite of available resources
- Oversee, and execute as needed, the print and electronic communications related to the organization’s membership status, renewal, etc.
- Ensure proper stewardship and recognition for members with mailings (print and online), calls, and other forms of outreach
- Serve as a customer service contact for membership to assist members with day-to-day needs and other inquiries, including facilitating member benefit usage, in a timely and professional manner
- In concert with the Manager of Education, coordinate website content and functionality to enhance membership and strategic partnership programs
- In concert with the Manager of Education, manage the online research library to support member knowledge
- Assist in the development and implementation of plans for member retention in cooperation with the Manager of Education, Executive Director and the Board
- Assist with the communication of full advantages of membership, services and programs to prospective members
- In partnership with the Program Coordinator, manage invitations for members to attend New Member Orientations and New Member Receptions; assist with planning as required
Membership Recruitment and Retention Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor past due membership dues reports; coordinate with Manager of Education an outreach plan for collecting delinquent membership dues and involve other staff as appropriate
- Utilize Raiser’s Edge to record all personal touchpoint interactions with prospective members
- In partnership with Manager of Education and Executive Director, develop and update membership marketing materials
- Assist in ongoing assessment and enhancement of member recruitment and retention and cultivation of new members, including the creation of new member benefits and regular solicitation of member feedback
- Work with team to plan, administer, and coordinate new marketing materials which support the marketing campaigns and events
- Participate and contribute in the planning and execution of all member-related special events as needed
- Share in the day-to-day operations of the organization as it relates to the duties of the position or as in the normal course of the running of the office as do the other staff members (i.e., special projects, conferences, logistics, etc.).
- As a member of a small but dedicated staff, contribute to the team effort; perform other duties as assigned and requested.
- Bachelor’s degree (or requisite experience) required
- 3+ years of experience in a membership or constituent management position with job responsibilities similar to those outlined above including customer services; experience in a non-profit organization preferred
- Proficiency with database management and membership/donor management software, Raiser’s Edge preferred
- Demonstrated ability to investigate, analyze and synthesize large quantities of data into a user-friendly and concise format for the use of the executive team and Board
- Superb written and oral communication skills with the ability to work with both technical and non-technical users
- Excellent customer service skills; commitment to a high level of service and professionalism
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with advanced skills in Word and Excel
- Experience with Constant Contact, contact databases, and Website/Intranet operations; Basic HTML, Wordpress a plus
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational, multi-tasking, time-management and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to work both independently with initiative and collaboratively as part of a team to accomplish responsibilities, goals and projects
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability in the areas of personal accountability, communication, time management, adaptability, and relationship building
- Enthusiasm and desire to make an impact
- Authorization to work in the United States
Requires a minimum of one trip per year, within the US, to an annual Board/Staff retreat, and two trips every other year for the Board/Staff Retreat and the FWGBD Conference.
This job primarily operates in a home or remote office environment. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to perform work utilizing a laptop or other standard office computer, printer/copier/scanner, telephone/VoIP and web camera.
- This is largely a sedentary role. However, this role requires the ability to receive, inventory, sort and package organizational materials. This would require the ability to lift up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis, and bend or stand as necessary.
- Requires ability to learn new software applications as necessary.
- Work involves travel to meetings and conferences, which may require long periods of walking and standing.