Thorn is a non-profit focused on building technology to defend children from sexual abuse. Working at Thorn gives you the opportunity to apply your skills, expertise, and passions to directly impact the lives of vulnerable and abused children. Our staff solves dynamic, quickly evolving problems with our network of partners from tech companies, NGOs, and law enforcement agencies. If you are able to bring clarity to complexity and lightness to heavy problems, you could be a great fit for our team.
Earlier this year, we took the stage at TED and shared our audacious goal
of eliminating child sexual abuse material from the internet.
About the Role:
The Senior Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and will maintain the general ledger accounts and business transactions of the organization, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles that include analytical work and thorough review of financial records. The ideal candidate will have a strong accounting background and be passionate about leveraging technology to drive process improvements.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist with the daily, monthly and year-end operations of the accounting/finance department.
- Identify process improvement opportunities and collaborate with others to design and implement solutions.
- Process and record accounts payable transactions ensuring that all invoices and staff reimbursements are paid timely, accurately, and in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Manage the processing of cash receipts, recording of revenue and work closely with the Development Team to ensure that revenues and receivables are reconciled with Salesforce.
- Review expense coding to ensure proper classification of expenditures.
- Cultivate internal relations at all levels by providing support and a high level of customer service.
- Perform various projects such as research, special projects & analysis as needed.
- Perform general accounts analysis and reconciliations.
- Prepare and analyze monthly department budget to actual variance reports.
Skills We’re Seeking:
- BS in accounting with 4+ years of experience in a related position that demonstrated the required skills. CPA a plus.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential issues.
- Demonstrated ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues.
- Excellent communication, strong writing, and analytical skills.
- Ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize and manage work under tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated comfort and aptitude with web-based applications including but not limited to Google Docs, Slack, Zoom, and Salesforce.
- Proactive and eager to learn.
- Experience working remotely or comfortable working with a distributed team.
- Ability and willingness to co-work at our Manhattan Beach office up to one day per week when needed.
- Commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
Thorn is a strong and flexible team because of the diverse backgrounds of our staff. This includes professional background, subject matter expertise, culture, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, language, hobbies, etc. We strongly encourage women, minorities, and people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Your skills are needed here.