Alianza Nacional de Campesinas (National Alliance of Farmworker Women) was founded in 2011 as an informal network of farmworker women-serving organizations with the specific aim of bringing unity and coherence to this growing, but greatly under-supported and underrepresented movement of working women. Since then, it has worked to ensure that campesinas have a place at the decision-making tables and a unified voice at forums that set the agenda for issues of critical importance to them and their families. Alianza is not only dedicated to protecting and promoting the civil, constitutional and human rights of campesinas, but of ensuring that they are empowered and actively engaged in advocating on their own behalf. There are four priority areas of work that Alianza focuses on: is ending violence against women and girls; creating fair labor and employment standards; helping to create a less punitive and more humane and just immigration system; and addressing exposure to pesticides.
Alianza Nacional de Campesinas seeks an experienced and creative Communications & Media Coordinator who is passionate about farmworker women justice and organizing, and is a professional with at least two years of Communications/Public Relations experience to build and maintain a strong public image and high visibility for Alianza. In partnership with our field members, organizers, staff, Communication & Media Specialists, Policy, and Development Departments, the Communications & Media Coordinator will help to promote the work of Alianza across a variety of online and offline platforms. The ideal candidate will be a skilled, compelling writer with a keen eye for detail; comfortable with digital technology, content management systems and social networking; experienced with a broad variety of contemporary media; and highly motivated in a fast-paced environment. S/he will establish great relationships with the public and media and serve as the public voice of the organization. She/he will work closely with the Social Media Specialist to develop high visibility and a positive public image for Alianza, clearly communicate core messages and building and maintaining relationships between the company or brand they represent and the outside world, and is passionate about our four priority areas This position reports directly to the Executive Director. Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
Writing and Materials Development
- Managing public relations for Alianza
- Create, implement and oversee communications, be it internal or external that effectively describe and promote Alianza.
- Supervise and direct communications and media staff
- Drafting and sending press releases that contain important news and information about Alianza to print and broadcast media outlets;
- Pitching and placing articles in print publications including newspapers, magazines, newsletters;
- Setting up interviews or appearances/speaking engagements with radio and television programs;
- Handling media requests for information and interviews;
- Developing content (in the form of articles, news items, press releases, etc.), selecting photographs and graphics for use in print and online media and contributing to website and social media content;
- Overseeing the translation of materials from English to Spanish and vice versa
- Proofing written materials and website content to ensure accuracy, correct spelling and grammar, as well as a consistent tone, and clear communication of Alianza core messages and values
- Coordinating the organization’s presence at news conferences and other public events
- Coordinating outreach activities including speaking engagements and representation at meetings and events of legislative stakeholders, social and religious organizations
- Organizing grassroots events, including community meetings, rallies, marches and other events that build momentum for the farmworker women’s movement
- Write and edit communications content, including press advisory & press release, brochures, fact sheets, advocacy and fundraising e-blasts, newsletters, toolkits, blog posts, and other publications
- Provide ongoing communications support for our Field (Organizers and organizational members), Communication & Media Specialists, Policy, and Development Departments
- Help prepare and edit communications pieces for the Executive Director and other staff, including speeches, articles, editorials, etc.
- Assist with design, production and dissemination of all Alianza materials
Online Activism and Technology
- Maintain online outreach strategies through social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat to strengthen our network and brand reach
- Familiar with digital communications tools
- Develop innovative online campaigns to engage members and activists
- Create, update, and manage content and design for online and electronic materials
- Help administer the Alianza blog, including recruiting bloggers and expanding cross postings
- Assist with mass electronic communications in coordination with other staff
- Strengthen email campaign performance, member data, and online user experience and services and recommend best practices and key tactics
- Manage website (Squarespace)
Training and Development
- Create, lead, and train member organizations in general nonprofit social media strategy, as well as that particular to campesina issues
- Assist in the strengthening of inter-organizational communication and networks
- Create and maintain media outreach strategy
- Proactively pitch stories, organize earned media opportunities, and engage diverse audiences
- Monitor media developments and coordinate responses with members and allies
- Write and edit media materials
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Self motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
- Must be a confident communicator and presenter
- Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills as well as skill in expressing ideas and facts effectively—telling compelling “stories” that can grab the attention of audiences
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, interact with external partners and represent the organization to the public
- Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills
- Superior project management and time management skills
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude
- Strong knowledge of understanding current trends in digital media/ Social Media
- Has good computer skills.
- Has skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors.
Being bilingual or having Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
- Willingness to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the mission and goals of Alianza and maintain a strong and effective social media presence.
- Is a team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary
- Is goal oriented and has good time management skills with the ability to multitask, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Is adaptive and willing to try out new features and change posts to fit with what’s being discussed given that the news and social media landscapes move so quickly.
- Is willing to become a committed advocate for Alianza through an effective social media presence
- the ability to conduct and coordinate multiple tasks under pressure and meet deadlines
Alianza Nacional de Campesinas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability (Physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, or request for FMLA. Alianza Nacional de Campesinas, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prioritizes diversity among our staff, Board of Directors, and volunteers. We also maintain a strong interest in our employees’ career development and strive to provide opportunities for growth and education for dedicated members of our team.